Do MECO models match observations of galactic black holes?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Nereid
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
3,397
Reaction score
3
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2006astro.ph..2453R".

From the abstract:
We show that the existence of intrinsically magnetic GBHC [galactic black hole candidates] is consistent with a new class of solutions of the Einstein field equations of General Relativity.
I suppose I should start a thread in the Relativity section, re how well the "new class of solutions of the Einstein field equations of General Relativity" holds water; here I'm interested in looking at how well the observational data matches MECO models.

Thoughts?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I've posted a brief comment on this paper in the GR forum. Basically, I'm not particuarly impressed with it, there appears to be some elementary errors. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the astronomical observation aspects.

Do you know if the journal this was published in was peer-reviewed?
 
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2001APS..APRJ14014R" gives: "American Physical Society, April Meeting, April 28 - May 1, 2001 Washington, DC Bulletin of the American Physical Society, Vol. 46, No. 2, abstract #J14.014" (the title is slightly different).

or, still from http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2004APS..APR.B8008L": "American Physical Society, April Meeting, 2004, May 1-4, 2004, Denver, Colorado April 2004, MEETING ID: APR04, abstract #B8.008" (the title is the same, but the abstract different).

There are, apparently, two preprints http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0307438" .

[Edit: from http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/0505/0505518.pdf" (p2 Introduction):
Finally a full discussion of the entire observational and theoretical program for the ”Magnetospheric Eternally Collapsing Object (MECO) model of Galactic Black Hole Candidates and Active Galactic Nuclei” was published (Robertson and Leiter 2005) as chapter one in the book ”New Directions in Black Hole Research” recently published by Nova Science Publishers.
Looks like they're having some difficulty getting published, e.g. in ApJ.]
 
Last edited by a moderator: