Are Mosquitoes Attracted to the Color Black?

  • Thread starter Thread starter siddharth
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Messages
1,145
Reaction score
0
In my house, I have noticed that substantially more mosquitoes are found on or near black coloured objects(like bags, clothes, hair etc) when compared to objects of other colors.
Has anyone else noticed such a thing?
I think that this is because black absorbs and radiates more heat and the mosquitoes tend to gather around for the heat.

A google search gives me this link
 
Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Are you more likely to notice a tiny object in front of a dark background, or a light-colored background? That could be a large "factor".
 
siddharth said:
In my house, I have noticed that substantially more mosquitoes are found on or near black coloured objects(like bags, clothes, hair etc) when compared to objects of other colors.
Has anyone else noticed such a thing?
I think that this is because black absorbs and radiates more heat and the mosquitoes tend to gather around for the heat.

A google search gives me this link

True, mosquitos like dark areas but in a bush or in stinky muds, I am afraid they don't.