Are n1 and n2 Prime Factors of n?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Calu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Primes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Calu
Messages
73
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



We have n ≥ 2, n not prime, n ∈ ℤ. Take the smallest such n. n is not prime and as such n is not irreducible and can be written as n = n1.n2; n1, n2 not units. We may take n1, n2 ≥ 2. However we have n > n1, n > n2 so n1, n2 have prime factors.

I'm not sure how n > n1, n > n2 implies that n1, n2 have prime factors.

Homework Equations


I'm not sure what's relevant here.

The Attempt at a Solution



From what I can see, the lowest possible n which meets the criteria is 6. 6 has the prime factors 2 and 3, which means that obviously what is stated is true. I'm just not sure how n > n1, n > n2 implies that its true.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
6 is not the smallest non-prime integer larger than or equal to 2, 4 is.

Anyway, if n is the smallest non-prime integer and n1 < n, what does this imply?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Calu