Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are open sets in R^n always homeomorphic to R^n?

1. Jan 19, 2013 #1
    I know that open intervals in R are homeomorphic to R. But does this extend to any dimension of Euclidean space? (Like an open 4-ball is it homeomorphic to R^4?)

My book doesn't talk about anything general like that and only gives examples from R^2.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2013 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

No for general open sets; look at, e.g., an open annulus, or any disconnected open set. But an open n-disk D:={x in R^n : ||x||<1 } (or any translation of it) is homeomorphic to R^n.

4. Jan 22, 2013 #3

disregardthat

Science Advisor

Any connected open set in R^n is homeomorphic to R^n, for any n. An open set in R^n is homeomorphic to the disjoint union of equally many R^n's as connected parts of your open set.

5. Jan 22, 2013 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Actually, an open annulus is open and connected, but not homeomorphic to R^n, since it is not simply-connected.

6. Jan 22, 2013 #5

disregardthat

Science Advisor

thanks for the correction, i meant simply connected :)

7. Jan 22, 2013 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Also not true, then open set [itex]B(0,1)\setminus\{0\}[/itex] of [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] is simply connected but not homeomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex].

8. Jan 23, 2013 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook