Are People Realizing That Science And Math Is Our Future?

In summary: Remember to count the global population. Many countries use decades old technology and never actually caught up like people thought they would.It's not just the US - many countries have been stuck in a rut for a while.It's not just the US - many countries have been stuck in a rut for a while.
I was watching a panel discussion program about the future of education and shockingly everyone agreed the future lies in studying more math based subjects - its vital. Of course those that frequent here know its true.

But now another shock. The Australian, Young Australian and Senior Australian of the year has been named:

Australian of the Year - Quantum Physicist - Professor Michelle Yvonne Simmons

Young Australian Of The Year: Eddie Woo, the inspirational mathematics teacher who is revolutionizing education.

Senior Australian Of The Year: Biophysicist Dr Graham Farquahr

Are we waking up and facing reality or is it just isolated incidents?

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes ISamson, berkeman and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
bhobba said:
Are we waking up and facing reality or is it just isolated incidents?
Why the shock? Is there evidence for an alternative anti-math movement?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Why the shock? Is there evidence for an alternative anti-math movement?

No, people in Australia know its vital, but our kids don't, the numbers taking advanced math in Australia is falling. Politicians are very concerned. Maybe they realize only actions such as honoring those involved in it will turn it around.

Thanks
Bill

Likes ISamson
bhobba said:
the numbers taking advanced math in Australia is falling
This is worth exploring!

Likes ISamson
Greg Bernhardt said:
This is worth exploring!

We did in the thread should algebra be part of an associate degree.

I pointed out the issue is different here - adults really do understand it's necessary and nobody really leaves school not knowing it - it's calculus here that is considered important.

Intersecting the difference in cultures.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Who was on the panel?

And no, I don't see the award as being relevant to the question: everyone agrees scientists are smar t, but that doesn't motivate people to want to study more stem.

Edit: may want to recheck your source. Google tells me the YAY is a soccer player.

Also that the award is for 2018, which implies that down under the calendar runs backwards.

Likes bhobba
russ_watters said:
Who was on the panel?

Here is a typical panel:

Chair Patrice Fogarty Department of the Premier and Cabinet
Panel member Jen Brennen ABC
Panel member Michael Zorko Commonwealth Bank
Panel member Steve Biddle Department of Immigration and Border Protection
Panel member Ray King Fairfax Media, Australian Community Media
Panel member Tessa Pascoe Department of Health
Panel member Amy Cherry Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise
Panel member Elsa Dalessio Qantas
Panel member Ross Spencer Woolworths
Panel member Chris Kirby National Australia Day Council
Panel member Elizabeth Kelly National Australia Day Council
Panel member Karen Tully South West Natural Resource Management Ltd
Panel member Tony McGrady AM Queensland Plan Ambassadors Council

There is one for each state and I think they reach a consensus.

russ_watters said:
And no, I don't see the award as being relevant to the question: everyone agrees scientists are smar t, but that doesn't motivate people to want to study more stem.

I don't think its saying they are smart - its saying society respects them. That's what excited me - society is starting to think its as important as sport etc which is what most Aussies talk about - even me - I chat about Tennis and Cricket for hours.

russ_watters said:
Edit: may want to recheck your source. Google tells me the YAY is a soccer player.

Whoops - it wasn't Young Australian Of The Year - Australia’s Local Hero

russ_watters said:
Also that the award is for 2018, which implies that down under the calendar runs backwards.

Yes - we are weird here. Its probably because its announced the day before Australia Day

Thanks
Bill

Likes berkeman
bhobba said:
Yes - we are weird here. Its probably because its announced the day before Australia Day
I don't get the weird part. It makes a lot of sense to have the award given for the current, rather than the past year. That way they can carry the honour throughout 2018.

Likes bhobba
This is regional as you suspect.

Remember to count the global population. Many countries use decades old technology and never actually caught up like people thought they would.

In the US the Northern States have been STEM focused for decades now, yet the Southern States (especially East) are still far behind. It doesn't matter how much a neighboring region invests or innovates, that doesn't translate into it being prioritized or utilized in the near future.

Most of the US government actually functions on technology from long ago: some localities can't pull together a decent website or campaign video, use decades old accounting and payroll systems, very old software programs, cannot let go of old procedures and manuals that a simple app or computer program could take care of nowadays, and overall seem to use the same old systems to function. And take it from me, I'm referring to places next to a city that likely holds more engineers than any other place in the world. It doesn't translate and we cannot count on others adopting new technologies or using new innovations, no matter who get's nominated.

Science is our future but effort must be taken to redesign some of it's principles to be environmental friendly. What's the point if our kids will be intelligent if they will never be wise?

1. What is the importance of science and math in our future?

Science and math are crucial for our future as they provide us with the tools and knowledge to understand the world around us, make advancements in technology, and solve complex problems. Many of the challenges we face today, such as climate change and disease, can only be addressed through the use of science and math.

2. How can science and math help us in our daily lives?

Science and math play a role in almost every aspect of our daily lives, from the food we eat to the technology we use. Understanding scientific concepts and mathematical principles can help us make informed decisions and solve everyday problems more efficiently.

3. Are there any career opportunities in the field of science and math?

Yes, there are numerous career opportunities in the field of science and math. From research and development to engineering and data analysis, there is a high demand for individuals with a background in science and math. These fields also offer a wide range of career paths and opportunities for growth and advancement.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in science and math to pursue a career in these fields?

Having a strong foundation in science and math is essential for pursuing a career in these fields. These subjects provide the fundamental building blocks for understanding more complex concepts and theories. However, with dedication and hard work, anyone can develop their skills in science and math.

5. How can we encourage more people to pursue careers in science and math?

One way to encourage more people to pursue careers in science and math is by promoting the importance and relevance of these subjects in our daily lives. We can also introduce these concepts to children at a young age and provide them with access to quality education and resources. Additionally, highlighting the diverse and exciting career opportunities available in these fields can inspire more individuals to pursue a career in science and math.