Are Physicists a class of Metaphysicians?

In summary, physicists may be considered as metaphysicians who attempt to get to the nature of reality with the help of mathematics, but there is conflict with the physical interpretation of different theories and even different interpretations about the same theory.
PhilosophyofPhysics
Could physicists be considered as metaphysicians who attempt to get to the nature of reality with the help of mathematics? We notice a lot of conflict with the physical intepretation of different theories and even different interpretations about the same theory. I know some physicists might be a bit upset about calling them metaphysicians, but I really am starting to question if we really can know the true nature of these "particles" and "forces" they speak of. Are they point particles? Are they wave-particles? Are they strings, membranes, loops? Is the wave-structure of matter correct? Another thing that got me thinking about this was the derivation I saw for the wave equation in a PDE book. There were so many ideal assumptions going on. I don't know. Help me. :uhh:

Speak, ye wonderous minds whose light doth shineth far brighter than mine.

Physics news on Phys.org
Their is only on divine question. Metaphysics is the only field of "science" that can ever hope to answering it. When things enter the material realm they lose their ability to not exist.

PhilosophyofPhysics said:
Could physicists be considered as metaphysicians who attempt to get to the nature of reality with the help of mathematics? We notice a lot of conflict with the physical intepretation of different theories and even different interpretations about the same theory. I know some physicists might be a bit upset about calling them metaphysicians, but I really am starting to question if we really can know the true nature of these "particles" and "forces" they speak of. Are they point particles? Are they wave-particles? Are they strings, membranes, loops? Is the wave-structure of matter correct? Another thing that got me thinking about this was the derivation I saw for the wave equation in a PDE book. There were so many ideal assumptions going on. I don't know. Help me. :uhh:

Speak, ye wonderous minds whose light doth shineth far brighter than mine.

Well most physicists might talk about interpretation in terms of a hypotheis or theory, but you'll note the difference. Copenhagen interpretation for example is a theory where as the more metaphysical MWI is purely hypothesis.

Most scientists are aware of the difference and don't go about speculating based on hypothesis, unless it's to pass an idle afternoon in conversation, in other words no one peer reviews papers about MWI and it's practical applications.

One exception which probably proves the rule are string theorists but then those people are scarey, when you deify mathematics, beware of the God who begat such a deity :wink::smile:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Well most physicists might talk about interpretation in terms of a hypotheis or theory, but you'll note the difference. Copenhagen interpretation for example is a theory where as the more metaphysical MWI is purely hypothesis.

Oh man, I hope you are ready to DDUUCCKK! :)

One exception which probably proves the rule are string theorists but then those people are scarey, when you deify mathematics, beware of the God who begat such a deity :wink::smile:

See above :)

Newbie says Hi said:
Oh man, I hope you are ready to DDUUCCKK! :)
See above :)

Nah, I've said far worse on the Quantum physics and String theory sections :smile:

And anyway you can't argue with MWI being a purely hypothetical interpritation and with CI being a theoretical one, that's the simple truth.

1. Are physicists considered to be metaphysicians?

This is a question that has been debated among scientists and philosophers for centuries. Some argue that physicists are indeed metaphysicians as they study the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world. Others argue that the two fields are distinct and that physicists focus on empirical evidence while metaphysicians focus on abstract concepts.

2. Can physicists prove the existence of metaphysical concepts?

No, as metaphysical concepts are not tangible or measurable, they cannot be proven or disproven through scientific methods. However, some physicists may use mathematical models and theories to explain or describe metaphysical concepts.

3. How does metaphysics relate to physics?

Metaphysics and physics are both concerned with understanding the nature and fundamental principles of the universe. However, while physics focuses on the physical aspects of the universe, metaphysics explores abstract concepts such as time, space, and causality.

4. Do all physicists study metaphysics?

No, not all physicists study metaphysics. Some may focus solely on the physical aspects of the universe, while others may incorporate metaphysical concepts into their research. It ultimately depends on the individual scientist's interests and research goals.

5. Is there a connection between quantum mechanics and metaphysics?

There is a long-standing debate about the relationship between quantum mechanics and metaphysics. Some argue that the strange and counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics supports metaphysical concepts, while others argue that the two are unrelated and that quantum mechanics can be explained through classical physics. The debate is ongoing and has yet to be definitively resolved.