Are running couplings distinctively 'quantum'?

In summary: I think that's a really good summary of the content! In summary, the running of coupling constants in QFT scales with the energy in the QFT. This is a quantum-relativistic phenomenon.
metroplex021
As is well known, the charges through which particles interact scale with the energy in QFT. What I was wondering is: can we say that this is a peculiarly 'quantum' phenomenon (or maybe, quantum-relativistic)? Is there a reason why it wouldn't be the case in a classical universe, for example?

Just a rainy afternoon question... any thoughts or musings would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your question.
the running coupling constants appear in the framework of quantum field theory. So they are quantum.
If by classical you mean the tree level interactions of classical fields, then yes the running of the coupling constant is a quantum effect appearing from higher order diagram corrections.

Yes, as ChrisVer says the running of the coupling in QFT comes from loop diagrams, and loop diagrams are inherently quantum mechanical because they represent the process of summing together the amplitudes of many different classical histories.

That said there are classical phenomena that are analogous in some ways. We call the running of the electric charge "vacuum polarization" because it is similar to polarization effects and charge shielding in classical dielectrics.

Yes, I appreciate that the running couplings appear in QFT. But -- as anyone who's benefited from reading Feynman knows -- derivation is not always the same thing as explanation. Is there a story, a gloss we can give on why the running of couplings is *distinctively* quantum?

OK: so is the idea here that the Callen-Symanzik equation governs renormalized coupling constants, and those things are only introduced in order to deal with divergent diagrams, which always include loops (and hence are intrinsically QMical)?

Thanks for reminding me of the analogy with dielectrics, The_Duck.

In the end the running of the couplins is due to virtual states coming from the superposition principle and perturbation theory. So I would say yes.

The_Duck said:
Yes, as ChrisVer says the running of the coupling in QFT comes from loop diagrams, and loop diagrams are inherently quantum mechanical because they represent the process of summing together the amplitudes of many different classical histories.

That said there are classical phenomena that are analogous in some ways. We call the running of the electric charge "vacuum polarization" because it is similar to polarization effects and charge shielding in classical dielectrics.
Can mass renorm. be understood in the same way, by the way?

And, related to that, can this " vacuum polarization" -picture explain why the coupling increases with energy instead of decreases (antiscreening instead of screening?)

Without wanting to hijack this topic, of course. ;)

Likes 1 person
I think it [vacuum polarization] explains why it's decreasing not increasing. It's more like the same charge is "expanded" in space...and so something going through it at high energies will see except for the positive charges the negative too.

In fact I had always thought that the "vacuum polarization picture" is the divulgative argument to explain running couplings in the Scientific American or similar newsjournals. It can be argued that it will be different for SU(3) that for U(1), so different runnings. And it is a quantum-relativistic picture, because the polarization is not of the "vacuum" but of the pairs particle-antiparticle that come out of the vacuum and return to it. So you need a theory allowing for pairs of particle-antiparticle.

1. What are running couplings?

Running couplings are a type of coupling constant that describes how strongly particles interact with each other. They are called "running" because their value changes as the energy or distance at which the particles interact changes. This is in contrast to "fixed" couplings, which have a constant value regardless of energy or distance.

2. How are running couplings different from fixed couplings?

Fixed couplings have a constant value, while running couplings change with energy or distance. This is because of the effects of quantum mechanics, which dictates that particle interactions are not constant and can vary based on the energy or distance at which they occur.

3. Are running couplings a uniquely quantum phenomenon?

Yes, running couplings are a distinctively quantum phenomenon. In classical physics, coupling constants are fixed and do not change with energy or distance. It is only in the quantum realm that these constants become energy and distance dependent, resulting in running couplings.

4. How do running couplings affect particle interactions?

Running couplings play a crucial role in understanding and predicting particle interactions. They can affect the strength and range of interactions between particles, as well as the behavior of particles at high energies. By studying the behavior of running couplings, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces that govern the universe.

5. Can running couplings be measured experimentally?

Yes, running couplings can be measured experimentally. Particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, are used to study the behavior of running couplings at different energy levels. By analyzing the data from these experiments, scientists can determine the values of running couplings and gain insights into the quantum nature of particle interactions.