Are Stars Limited to Galaxies or Can They Exist in Intergalactic Space?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter trentt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Space Stars
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 6K views
trentt
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Do all stars have to be present inside of a galaxy? Or are there some stars that can be out side in intergalactic space?

I was just curious.

Thanks
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Stars are everywhere. They aren't just inside galaxies, although most are.
 
trentt said:
Do all stars have to be present inside of a galaxy? Or are there some stars that can be out side in intergalactic space?

I was just curious.

Thanks

Most likely any stars which exist outside of a galaxy were born within a galaxy but flung out of it for one reason or another. Probably the most likely possibility is a collision between galaxies, as these often fling constituent stars out into space.
 
Nicholas2001 said:
Could a solar system exist outside of a galaxy?

Sure, why not. Like I said though, was most likely ejected through some galactic collision.
 
I think most are no flinged out in a merger, although it happens in mergers, but all you need is a two-, or preferably three-body interaction, these also just happen in a galaxy that is just quietly sitting there. In a merger more stars will be launched per unit time, but the amount of time galaxies spend in a merger is limited. I'm not sure how that equilibrium will work out...
 
Stars definitely exist outside of galaxies. I've even read about planets that aren't gravitationally bound to any stars/exist outside of galaxies.
 
google "Hypervelocity stars"

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/oir/sp/hypervel.html
 
Sir James Jeans in his book "The Dying Sun" has told all about universe and it's existence. if you are curious about the universe take and study.

Thanks
JhonMoney