Are Supermassive Black Holes Really at the Center of Galaxies?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter University
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Astronomy Introductory
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
University
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Hello all,
I am studying for an Introductory Astronomy final and I came across an old exam with a few True and False Questions


Supermassive black holes are found in the centres of large galaxies (Supermassive is tricky here, not sure on this)

Inflation is the name we give to the rapid expansion of the universe shortly after the Big Bang

(Inflation??I think False)

The ecliptic is the imaginary line in the sky that is always directly above the Earth's equator

(False, northern hemisphere yes but what about southern?)

Any help is welcome
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
University said:
Supermassive black holes are found in the centres of large galaxies
True (well probably, we haven't looked at all galaxies)

(Supermassive is tricky here, not sure on this)
Depends on your ego I suppose but a couple of million solar masses is pretty super as far as I'm concerned.

Inflation is the name we give to the rapid expansion of the universe shortly after the Big Bang (Inflation??I think False)
Think again

The ecliptic is the imaginary line in the sky that is always directly above the Earth's equator (False, northern hemisphere yes but what about southern?)
I think you are misunderstanding the nature of an equator!
 
What do your lecture notes say about these things?