Are there any health risks with radio transmission?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
chebyshevF
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Ok I've done my research and so long as the transmitter isn't outputting at a high level of power, you'll be fine.

Why I ask is because I'm looking into getting a job with a small company, where they install network elements such as optical and radio transmissoin (and multiplexers). Now I know they wouldn't even be advertising if the job involved any health risks, but I remember reading this article a while ago and it's got me thinking: http://spectrum.ieee.org/biomedical/ethics/vatican-radio-still-making-waves
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think anyone really knows for sure. I can definitely tell you that the energy of microwaves is still relatively weak, much weaker than needed to directly mutate a cell. There may be some indirect stuff, such as glucose levels in the brain being altered, leading to such and such, that leads to some health risk. You'll probably have to do your own research on this one as I think most of it would be in the medical community.