Are There Any Other Educational Video Series Like 'The Mechanical Universe'?

In summary, "The Mechanical Universe" is a highly recommended video series featuring Dr. David Goodstein from Caltech that covers important concepts and histories of physics. It is often used in physics classes and is considered one of the best introductory videos for the subject. Other online lectures and videos on physics can also be found, but "The Mechanical Universe" stands out for its long-lasting significance and ability to provide historical context and excitement for the subject.
kraphysics
"The Mechanical Universe"?

Have you heard of this series called "The Mechanical Universe"? Dr. David Goodstein from Caltech is in the videos and they are really good. We watch them in our physics class before beginning each unit. What are some other video series like this?

Space news on Phys.org

kraphysics said:
Have you heard of this series called "The Mechanical Universe"? Dr. David Goodstein from Caltech is in the videos and they are really good. We watch them in our physics class before beginning each unit. What are some other video series like this?
I recorded all of The Mechanical Universe and The Mechanical Universe - and Beyond back in the early 90's when The Learning Channel had stuff worth watching. :wink: I really enjoyed the series.

There are a lot of other online lectures that have been posted on the forum. The https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151" section is a good place to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are very good introductory videos, because they highlight important concepts and histories of physics throughout the material of basic level college physics and are not afraid to show mathematical treatments to what they are talking about (which are fundamental to understanding). The best videos I had seen on introductory physics, they gave me a different take on much of that material when I was studying it for the first time.

For those that are interested, the videos can be found here:http://www.learner.org/resources/series42.html

For videos created in the 80s, they have tremendously long-lasting significance. Their treatment of special relativity is absolutely marvelous. I don't use them as a substitute for teaching. I found they work best as a "recap" rather than intro.

Apart from their value as a learning tool, I think "the Mechanical Universe" also provides historical context and makes me feel excitement and awe for physics. maybe i am weird.. but i never found any other series like that.

Last edited:

Related to Are There Any Other Educational Video Series Like 'The Mechanical Universe'?

1. What is "The Mechanical Universe"?

"The Mechanical Universe" is a famous television series and accompanying textbook that explore the principles of physics and how they govern the behavior of the physical world. It was created by Caltech physicist David Goodstein and originally aired in 1985.

2. How many episodes are there in "The Mechanical Universe"?

There are 52 episodes in "The Mechanical Universe". Each episode is approximately 30 minutes long and covers a different topic in physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity.

3. Is "The Mechanical Universe" still relevant today?

Although "The Mechanical Universe" was first released over 30 years ago, its content is still relevant today. The fundamental principles of physics explored in the series are timeless and continue to form the basis of modern scientific understanding.

4. Who is the target audience for "The Mechanical Universe"?

The target audience for "The Mechanical Universe" is primarily students and individuals interested in learning about physics. The series is designed to be accessible to non-experts and provides a solid foundation for further exploration of the subject.

5. Can I access "The Mechanical Universe" online?

Yes, "The Mechanical Universe" is available for online streaming through various platforms, such as YouTube and Amazon Prime Video. The accompanying textbook is also available for purchase in both print and digital formats.