1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are there solutions to 4m^(n)=n^(2m) with m,n in Z+

1. Apr 14, 2015 #1
    Hi, thanks for taking the time to read.
    To gain insight into [tex]n^m+n^m+1[/tex] and when it's prime, I looked at one case where it would be composite.
    I equated it to [tex](a+1)^2[/tex] and then substituted out to get [tex]4m^n=n^{2m}[/tex] Using mathematica, I was unable to get a solution. So here's my question: are there any solutions to it with integer n and m?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

By inspection, n=1 and m=2 or is that 2m an exponent?

4. Apr 14, 2015 #3
    2m is an exponent. I fixed it.

5. Apr 14, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

There's likely no integer solution. In the simpler case of x^y = y^x the only integer solution is 2 and 4.

My pocket CAS on iOS couldnt find any solutions either but it couldnt solve my easier one either.

6. Apr 14, 2015 #5
    Well that's pretty interesting since no integer solutions would imply that [tex]x^y+y^x+1[/tex] will never be a perfect square. Thank you.

Edit: Found m=1 and n=2 is a solution. I wonder if that's the only integer solution.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook