Are there solutions to 4m^(n)=n^(2m) with m,n in Z+

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter megatyler30
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 1K views
megatyler30
Messages
71
Reaction score
2
Hi, thanks for taking the time to read.
To gain insight into [tex]n^m+n^m+1[/tex] and when it's prime, I looked at one case where it would be composite.
I equated it to [tex](a+1)^2[/tex] and then substituted out to get [tex]4m^n=n^{2m}[/tex] Using mathematica, I was unable to get a solution. So here's my question: are there any solutions to it with integer n and m?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
There's likely no integer solution. In the simpler case of x^y = y^x the only integer solution is 2 and 4.

My pocket CAS on iOS couldn't find any solutions either but it couldn't solve my easier one either.
 
Well that's pretty interesting since no integer solutions would imply that [tex]x^y+y^x+1[/tex] will never be a perfect square. Thank you.

Edit: Found m=1 and n=2 is a solution. I wonder if that's the only integer solution.
 
Last edited: