Are unrelated AP classes worth it?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential benefits and drawbacks of taking AP courses unrelated to a student's desired major in high school. The student is concerned about whether these courses will affect their chances of getting into a good college for Electrical Engineering or Computer Science. Some argue that taking AP courses can help fulfill general education requirements in college, while others believe it is better to use AP courses to skip non-major courses. Overall, it is agreed that taking AP courses can demonstrate a student's ability to handle a college-level workload, but it may not significantly impact college admissions. It is also mentioned that liberal arts courses may still be required in college, even for students majoring in a specific subject like theoretical physics.
-Doug-
Hey, I'm a high school student going into my junior year and I've been wondering whether it's in my best interest to take AP courses unrelated to the major I want to go into.

Basically, at this point I'm quite sure that I want to major in either Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, and I'd like to get into a nice college. My school doesn't offer a whole lot of choice when it comes to AP classes related to math and science. In fact, the only math/science AP classes my school currently offers are AP Calc AB and AP Stats. I'm definitely going to be taking AP Calc AB this year and I'm sure I will enjoy it. I only wish my school offered AP Physics and the likes...

The issue I'm having is that I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth it for me to take classes like AP English Literature & AP US History. I already took AP World History my sophomore year. Will these classes affect my chances much of getting into a good school for EE or CS? I know quite well that I can take these classes and get relatively good grades, but I also know quite well that I will hate myself for it because I really won't enjoy it. I'd much rather be able to enjoy the year rather then dread it, if it's possible.

Taking AP English Lit & AP US will definitely take up a lot of the free time that I spend working on stuff like programming and toying with electronics and what not. The kind of stuff that I enjoy more than anything else.

Also, my school is a "magnet" school and I'm in the magnet known as "ECC" (Electronics and Computer Circuitry) which is basically a mash up of some EE, some CS, and other computer related topics. I get high grades in just about all of my classes, especially those math/science related.

Is it worth it?

Physics news on Phys.org
In college / university, you'll probably have to take non-science courses like English and history as part of general degree requirements. You can often use AP courses to satisfy those requirements. Some people argue that it's better to use AP courses to skip non-major courses, than to skip intro courses in your major.

Like jtbell says, you'll need to take the classes eventually. Whether you want to get them over with or procrastinate until later is up to you.

You guys do make a good point - Although I was more curious about how it would affect my admission to colleges.

Probably minimally. No one cares either way whether you took AP English or AP US History, or any other AP, provided you've demonstrated an interest in some field of study. However, if this is your first US history course in high school, you might be missing some basic requirements for some college applications. I can't imagine that you haven't taken a previous English course in high school.

snipez90 said:
Probably minimally. No one cares either way whether you took AP English or AP US History, or any other AP, provided you've demonstrated an interest in some field of study. However, if this is your first US history course in high school, you might be missing some basic requirements for some college applications. I can't imagine that you haven't taken a previous English course in high school.

Oh of course I've been taking English and History classes. I'm required to take both subjects for all four years. I took AP World History last year, and while I did well, it wasn't very enjoyable for me haha. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth it to take AP English classes and another AP History course, rather then the usual honors classes. I like to use every last ounce of my free time to the fullest extent, and classes like those take a lot of it away :uhh: (Note: I do understand that when I'm in college I probably won't have any free time at all - But, since I'll actually be spending that time learning stuff rather then preparing for standardized tests - which is about all high school really is - I'm sure I'll enjoy it.)

Yeah I had a similar question. Do I still have to take liberal arts courses in college even if I know that my major is going to be in the theoretical physics area going into college? It seems like my finishing of APUSH and AP World has gone to waste then.

Learning how to read, analyze large amounts of information, and write is never a waste unless you plan on financing all of your academic research by yourself, in which case it probably wouldn't matter.

snipez90 said:

I disagree. It looks good on application when you mention that you have attempted AP classes. In my experience, it is better to have had a 3.5 with AP credits than a 4.0 without it. It can demonstrate that the student in question is capable of buckling down under an college level academic workload and get it done. However, this is just my perspective as a student.

WannabeNewton said:
Yeah I had a similar question. Do I still have to take liberal arts courses in college even if I know that my major is going to be in the theoretical physics area going into college? It seems like my finishing of APUSH and AP World has gone to waste then.

I had to sign-up just to answer this question. It would serve you well to take a look at potential school catalogs to see what the required classes are to graduate in, presumably, a B.S. in physics. I considered a B.S. in physics, however switched to engineering upon seeing the requirements. Since its a degree from the school of arts and sciences of many schools, you'll have to complete their requirements for the school of A&S that includes liberal arts classes and languages.

I would recommend taking AP classes. It feels good to have extra credit, also it will save you money. Why pay later what you can do now for free?

1. Are unrelated AP classes worth taking?

The answer to this question depends on your personal goals and interests. If you are interested in a particular subject and want to challenge yourself, then taking an unrelated AP class may be beneficial. These classes also show colleges that you are willing to take on a rigorous course load.

2. Do unrelated AP classes help with college admissions?

Yes, taking unrelated AP classes can help with college admissions. These classes show that you are willing to push yourself academically and are not afraid to take on new challenges. They also demonstrate a well-rounded education and can help make your college application stand out.

3. How do unrelated AP classes affect my GPA?

AP classes are weighted differently than regular classes, which means that they have a higher point value. This can potentially boost your GPA if you do well in the class. However, if you struggle with the class, it could have a negative impact on your GPA.

4. Will taking unrelated AP classes save me money in college?

If you do well on the AP exam and earn college credit, then taking unrelated AP classes can save you money in college. This will allow you to skip introductory courses and potentially graduate early, saving you tuition costs. However, not all colleges accept AP credits, so it is important to research the policies of the colleges you are interested in.

5. How can I determine if an unrelated AP class is worth taking?

You should consider your personal interests, academic strengths, and future goals when deciding if an unrelated AP class is worth taking. It is also important to research the workload and difficulty of the class, as well as the potential benefits, such as college credit or a boost in your GPA. Consulting with your guidance counselor or teachers can also help you make an informed decision.