Are we allowed to write the G-word here?

• Thread starter magnusrobot12
  • Start date
In summary: Acceptable:"I hate religious people.""Stupid theist! God doesn't exist!""You are evil if you do not believe in God."Basically, if you put down anyone's religious beliefs(or lack thereof) on this forum, it is a bad thing and makes you vulnerable to repercussions. Remember, tolerance is important. Discussions on religion/atheism must be open-minded with the purpose of having the participates learn about other people's beliefs without the goal of conversion. "Debates"(if you can call them that) on religion, I believe, is, and should be, banned.
magnusrobot12
OK, before everyone gets bent out of shape, are we allowed to say the G-word here? You know, God. :eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you read the chart you signed when joining this forum ? There are rules
Religious Discussion Guidelines:
Discussions that assert the a priori truth or falsity of religious dogmas and belief systems, or value judgments stemming from such religious belief systems, will not be tolerated. As a rule of thumb, some topics pertaining to religion might be permissible if they are discussed in such a way so as to remain neutral on the truth of, or value judgments stemming from, religious belief systems. However, it is essential to use good judgment whenever discussing religious matters to ensure that the discussion does not degenerate into a messy dispute. If in doubt, err on the side of caution.

Because of the complexity and ambiguity of this subject matter, there are no hard and fast moderation rules that apply over all possible cases. Ultimately, it is up to the administrators and mentors to decide what is appropriate and what it not on a case-by-case basis. Discuss religious matters at your own risk: Administrators and mentors retain the right to lock or delete any religious thread or post at any time without warning or explanation. All administrator and mentor action taken with regard to religious discussions will be final and will not be up for dispute.

Religious proselytizing is strictly prohibited! PF is not the place to promote or discuss particular religious dogma.
I'd say you can discuss with others about concepts you can define. You should define your concepts in order to orient the discussion in the direction you are interested in. Can you define this word please ?

The problem with starting any thread with "God" is that 99.99999999% of the time they want to discuss the Christian God and Christian beliefs in general.

I would suggest, in order to avoid this problem, use descriptors such as "supernatural being(s), dieties, gods and goddesses, etc..." that way the thread isn't as likely to make people think that you are trying to discuss a specific religion. Keep it generic and we can avoid problems. :smile: I'm 99.99999999% serious about this.

Acceptable:
"My God, that is hilarious!"
"So yesterday, I was praying to my God, and this clown kicked me..."

Unacceptable:
"My God is better than your God."
"Stupid theist! God doesn't exist!"
"You are evil if you do not believe in God."Basically, if you put down anyone's religious beliefs(or lack thereof) on this forum, it is a bad thing and makes you vulnerable to repercussions. Remember, tolerance is important.

Discussions on religion/atheism must be open-minded with the purpose of having the participates learn about other people's beliefs without the goal of conversion. "Debates"(if you can call them that) on religion, I believe, is, and should be, banned.

EDIT: What Evo said too.

Magnus, are you of a younger age?

Pinu7 said:
Acceptable:
"My God, that is hilarious!"

How is this acceptable... that is, unless swift vengeance was dealt against the clown in question.

As I went through college, I wish I had counted how many times physics professors referred to god in class. Never in a religious way of course, but more as a way to mark where our knowledge ends.

Pinu7 said:
Acceptable:

Now that's funny. :rofl:

Evo said:
use descriptors such as "supernatural being(s), dieties, gods and goddesses, etc..." that way the thread isn't as likely to make people think that you are trying to discuss a specific religion.

OK, I agree with the sentiments on the board. Perhaps its OK to discuss a supernatural being to help with events before Plank time. Hey, a "god" disrupted the symmetry of the singularity that led to the inflationary expansion. I'm liking this place. Some folks here have 10,000 posts. I'm such a newbie. :smile:

MotoH said:
Magnus, are you of a younger age?
I'm not that young. Well, maybe I'm young at heart. o:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it is G-string

I came into this thread thinking: "Golf? Why would anyone want to talk about golf?"

I thought G stood for Grafenberg

What bothers me most about religion discussions are statements like "I hate religious people". Considering that 90% or so of the world, and a majority of the US, are religious, and considering that this is an international forum, statements as such may be considered deep insults to members who are religious. It is just another example of social obnoxiousness and rudeness sanctified by the popular opinion of a small group.

Funny thing is that I didn't think about religion much anymore until I joined PF. How's that for irony!

Ivan Seeking said:
What bothers me most about religion discussions are statements like "I hate religious people". Considering that 90% or so of the world, and a majority of the US, are religious, and considering that this is an international forum, statements as such may be considered deep insults to members who are religious. It is just another example of social obnoxiousness and rudeness sanctified by the popular opinion of a small group.

Funny thing is that I didn't think about religion much anymore until I joined PF. How's that for irony!

That is why I asked him how old he was. From my observations, the young atheists are full of fire and brimstone! The older the atheist is, the less hateful towards religion they are.

The same I suppose can be said for religious folk also.

MotoH said:
That is why I asked him how old he was. From my observations, the young atheists are full of fire and brimstone! The older the atheist is, the less hateful towards religion they are.

So, in addition to being more idealistic, youth are also more ideological...

MotoH said:

There may be some truth to that, but I think it is more a sign of the times than a function of age. Due in large part to the internet, young people have grown up without the social structure that teaches basic civility.

I think the other problem is that as the religious right gained power in the Republican party over the last twenty years, political polarization intensified through theistic polarization. Sometimes it is now hard to tell the two apart.

MotoH said:

cepheid said:
So, in addition to being more idealistic, youth are also more ideological...

And less tolerant and/or diplomatic.

Ivan, I wasn't aware that "I hate religious people" was acceptable commentary here. Especially that the comment isn't even substantiated or backed up in any way.

I'm entirely not a fan of hate speech regardless of who it comes from and who it's directed at and especially when it's being spewed for its own sake without even a rationalisation to go with it.

GeorginaS said:
Ivan, I wasn't aware that "I hate religious people" was acceptable commentary here. Especially that the comment isn't even substantiated or backed up in any way.

I'm entirely not a fan of hate speech regardless of who it comes from and who it's directed at and especially when it's being spewed for its own sake without even a rationalisation to go with it.

At the end of days he will get what is coming to him. . .:tongue:

MotoH said:
At the end of days he will get what is coming to him. . .:tongue:

Good to know. :smile:

GeorginaS said:

Neither was I. Perhaps Evo didn't see the post.

In order to respect boundaries, I don't intervene in this sort of thing.

Ivan Seeking said:
Neither was I. Perhaps Evo didn't see the post.

In order to respect boundaries, I don't intervene in this sort of thing.

Ah, I see.

I do not so much see "I hate religious people" comments as I see comments that are negative towards religion and religious people that are often said by popular atheists and are theoretically substantiable. Things to the effect of "religious people are irrational" "religion causes wars and violence" ect.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I do not so much see "I hate religious people" comments as I see comments that are negative towards religion and religious people that are often said by popular atheists and are theoretically substantiable. Things to the effect of "religious people are irrational" "religion causes wars and violence" ect.

Did you read the thread? The offending comments are there, but no reasons are given.

Part of the problem is that the fundamentalists get most of the media attention. This tends to skew the perspective of religious people, for the non-believers. But to argue against religion generally from a scientific perspective, is irrational. Science does not address matters of faith because it can't. There is no argument by which religious faith can be defeated. At worst, one can always default to "God the trickster" in order to explain all contradictions between religious beliefs [faith], and science. It never ceases to amaze me how people like Dawkins can't seem to figure this out.

Other churches tend to follow scientific teachings as well as biblical teachings and philosophies. Consider for example that while the Catholic church is famous for "denying the truth", it is argued that even the priests of old knew that Galileo was right. It seems to me that the Popes were better at delaying the telling of scientific truths, rather than denying them. In the end they admitted to the weight of the evidence. Consider that even in the 1960's, I was taught evolution theory in a Catholic school - taught by nuns. It was presented as fact along with bibilical teachings, with no qualifiers.

Note also that the church actually went easy on Galileo. He was placed under house arrest. Had it not been clear that he was right, he would have likely been put to death for such heresy.

Last edited:
The question has been answered.

1. Can we use the word "God" in our scientific writings?

Yes, the word "God" can be used in scientific writings as long as it is relevant to the topic being discussed. However, it is important to use the word in a respectful and objective manner.

2. Is it appropriate to mention religious beliefs in scientific research?

It depends on the context and purpose of the research. If the study is focused on the relationship between science and religion, then it may be appropriate to mention religious beliefs. However, if the topic is purely scientific, it is best to avoid bringing in personal beliefs.

3. Are there any guidelines for using religious terminology in scientific writing?

There are no specific guidelines, but it is important to use religious terminology accurately and respectfully. Avoid making assumptions or generalizations about a particular religion, and provide proper context and explanation when using religious terms.

4. Will using the word "God" in scientific writing affect the credibility of the research?

Using the word "God" alone will not affect the credibility of the research, but how it is used and in what context can impact the perception of the research. It is important to maintain objectivity and avoid introducing personal beliefs in scientific writing.

5. Can we use the word "God" in scientific research papers for academic journals?

Yes, the word "God" can be used in scientific research papers for academic journals as long as it is relevant to the topic and used in a respectful and objective manner. However, it is always best to check the specific guidelines of the journal before submitting your paper.