Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are we allowed to write the G-word here?

1. Mar 5, 2010 #1
    OK, before everyone gets bent out of shape, are we allowed to say the G-word here? You know, God. :eek:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2010 #2
    Have you read the chart you signed when joining this forum ? There are rules
    I'd say you can discuss with others about concepts you can define. You should define your concepts in order to orient the discussion in the direction you are interested in. Can you define this word please ?

4. Mar 5, 2010 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The problem with starting any thread with "God" is that 99.99999999% of the time they want to discuss the Christian God and Christian beliefs in general.

I would suggest, in order to avoid this problem, use descriptors such as "supernatural being(s), dieties, gods and goddesses, etc..." that way the thread isn't as likely to make people think that you are trying to discuss a specific religion. Keep it generic and we can avoid problems. :smile: I'm 99.99999999% serious about this.

5. Mar 5, 2010 #4
    Acceptable:
    "My God, that is hilarious!"
    "So yesterday, I was praying to my God, and this clown kicked me...."

Unacceptable:
    "My God is better than your God."
    "Stupid theist! God doesn't exist!"
    "You are evil if you do not believe in God."

Basically, if you put down anyone's religious beliefs(or lack thereof) on this forum, it is a bad thing and makes you vulnerable to repercussions. Remember, tolerance is important.

Discussions on religion/atheism must be open-minded with the purpose of having the participates learn about other people's beliefs without the goal of conversion. "Debates"(if you can call them that) on religion, I believe, is, and should be, banned.

EDIT: What Evo said too.

6. Mar 5, 2010 #5
    Magnus, are you of a younger age?

7. Mar 5, 2010 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How is this acceptable... that is, unless swift vengeance was dealt against the clown in question.

8. Mar 5, 2010 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As I went through college, I wish I had counted how many times physics professors referred to god in class. Never in a religious way of course, but more as a way to mark where our knowledge ends.

9. Mar 5, 2010 #8
    Now that's funny. :rofl:

OK, I agree with the sentiments on the board. Perhaps its OK to discuss a supernatural being to help with events before Plank time. Hey, a "god" disrupted the symmetry of the singularity that led to the inflationary expansion. I'm liking this place. Some folks here have 10,000 posts. I'm such a newbie. :smile:

I'm not that young. Well, maybe I'm young at heart. o:)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2010
  10. Mar 5, 2010 #9
    I thought it is G-string

11. Mar 5, 2010 #10
    I came into this thread thinking: "Golf? Why would anyone want to talk about golf?"

12. Mar 5, 2010 #11
    I thought G stood for Grafenberg

13. Mar 5, 2010 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What bothers me most about religion discussions are statements like "I hate religious people". Considering that 90% or so of the world, and a majority of the US, are religious, and considering that this is an international forum, statements as such may be considered deep insults to members who are religious. It is just another example of social obnoxiousness and rudeness sanctified by the popular opinion of a small group.

Funny thing is that I didn't think about religion much anymore until I joined PF. How's that for irony!

14. Mar 5, 2010 #13
    That is why I asked him how old he was. From my observations, the young atheists are full of fire and brimstone! The older the atheist is, the less hateful towards religion they are.

The same I suppose can be said for religious folk also.

15. Mar 5, 2010 #14

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, in addition to being more idealistic, youth are also more ideological...

16. Mar 5, 2010 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There may be some truth to that, but I think it is more a sign of the times than a function of age. Due in large part to the internet, young people have grown up without the social structure that teaches basic civility.

I think the other problem is that as the religious right gained power in the Republican party over the last twenty years, political polarization intensified through theistic polarization. Sometimes it is now hard to tell the two apart.

17. Mar 5, 2010 #16
    And less tolerant and/or diplomatic.

18. Mar 5, 2010 #17
    Ivan, I wasn't aware that "I hate religious people" was acceptable commentary here. Especially that the comment isn't even substantiated or backed up in any way.

I'm entirely not a fan of hate speech regardless of who it comes from and who it's directed at and especially when it's being spewed for its own sake without even a rationalisation to go with it.

19. Mar 5, 2010 #18

At the end of days he will get what is coming to him. . .:tongue:

20. Mar 5, 2010 #19
    Good to know. :smile:

21. Mar 5, 2010 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Neither was I. Perhaps Evo didn't see the post.

In order to respect boundaries, I don't intervene in this sort of thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook