Are You From America or Britain? Say Hi to a Newcomer!

  • Thread starter Thread starter vix43
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hi
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
42 replies · 6K views
British accents?

One thing that does make me laugh all the time! The British invented English but nobody else can understand them when they talk! hehe! :rolleyes:

Seriously, welcome aboard vix43!

Just a Q. for you Brits? Do you still get those people who talk proper "Queen's English" as it can be called which sounds like the person is reciting words with their proper pronounciations from the Oxford Dictionary? Or are these people a dying breed being taken over by the younger, more "understandable" generation?

Also, loved Brad Pitt's accent in Snatch! Where's that from??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Shahil said:
British accents?

One thing that does make me laugh all the time! The British invented English but nobody else can understand them when they talk! hehe! :rolleyes:

Seriously, welcome aboard vix43!

Just a Q. for you Brits? Do you still get those people who talk proper "Queen's English" as it can be called which sounds like the person is reciting words with their proper pronounciations from the Oxford Dictionary? Or are these people a dying breed being taken over by the younger, more "understandable" generation?

Also, loved Brad Pitt's accent in Snatch! Where's that from??

The British are great. I would, however, say that being a Brit but heck that is life.

The Queen's English is still used. I use it know and again or get it in my conversations but I jusy mix accents up from time to time and can sound like I am from Portsmouth one minute and then from Newcastle the next or a Londoner or a Welshman (not used much mind you). I just mix it all up. It is English so I use it.

Never seen Snatch. Sorry.

The Bob (2004 ©)
 
Shahil said:
Seriously, welcome aboard vix43!

Just a Q. for you Brits? Do you still get those people who talk proper "Queen's English" as it can be called which sounds like the person is reciting words with their proper pronounciations from the Oxford Dictionary?

Also, loved Brad Pitt's accent in Snatch! Where's that from??

Cheers Shahill :wink:

Well you don't get those posh talking snobs in my area! :biggrin:

I haven't seen Snatch either, but from what I gather he was talking cockney I think (london accent :wink: ) I love that accent! :smile:
 
The Bob said:
'Black Vix'? Might be good :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)
Wouldn't that be Black Addervix? :surprise: :biggrin:
 
Tsunami said:
Wouldn't that be Black Addervix? :surprise: :biggrin:

Could be :rolleyes: (<--------------------the face I want to use is not here. It is more of a erm... well it is hard to describe. It is more of my school kind of face).

Oh and there is nothing wrong with common accents. Just that my drama teacher told us off for speaknig posh and so we tried to sound common and she still said we were too posh. We argued that this is how we would sound at a party. Random women.

The Bob (2004 ©)
 
Andy said:
Your not from Pompey are you Bob?

Aye. I live nearer to it than Soton. Chopnik has already told me you two come from Soton.

The Bob (2004 ©)
 
The real question is, do you like football and do you support either the Mighty Saints or pompey?
 
Andy said:
The real question is, do you like football and do you support either the Mighty Saints or pompey?

Well I do not support a football team but my Soton friend (from my local ACF band) said that I support Saints so I guess (without meaning to) I support the Saints. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)
 
Monique said:
And the English are very tolerant people right? :wink:


Anyone who can stand to be neighbours to the Welsh and the Scottish must be tolerant! :wink: :smile: :-p
 
jimmy p said:
Anyone who can stand to be neighbours to the Welsh and the Scottish must be tolerant! :wink: :smile: :-p

Indeed :biggrin: :approve: :smile: :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)
 
On this accent thing. Here in Durban, SA, we have a LARGE indian population which is very communal and has an identity of its own with a different accent and slang to the other people in our wonderlik rainbow nation :approve: Anyhows, check out this site - its quite a fun read!

www.freewebs.com/charous[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator: