Are you smarter than a Singaporean 10 year old?

• MHB
  • Thread starter GLONE007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary: So, the original length of the string was 40 meters.In summary, the conversation is about a question found in The Guardian newspaper titled "Are You Smarter Than a 10 Year Old?" The question involves cutting off pieces of string and determining the remaining length. The ratio of remaining length to total length cut off is 1:3 and the length of the remaining string is being asked. One solution is 10 meters, as explained by the conversation's participants.
GLONE007
So i was looking through The Guardian(newspaper) and found this question, Titled 'are you smarter then a 10 year old?' and as you can guess i had no clue what to do. Also i thought if i looked at the answer maybe i would realize how it worked. Oh. how wrong was I! Is anyone able to break it down even more?. so that someone like 'me' can understand how it is done and how it works.

1. Mary cut off 2/5 of a piece of string. Later, she cut off another 14 m. The ratio of the length of string remaining to the total length cut off is 1 : 3. What is the length of the remaining string?

A. 5 m
B. 7 m
C. 10 m
D. 14 m
Solution is C.

I saw two ways of doing this yet they both through me off, i was wondering if someone could. in a sense talk it through step by step.As i am determined to understand how it works.

Many thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Are you smarter then a Singaporean 10 year old?

what we wind up with is (where $\ell$ is the original length in m):

\(\displaystyle 0.6\ell-14=\frac{1}{3}\left(0.4\ell+14\right)\)

\(\displaystyle 1.8\ell-42=0.4\ell+14\)

\(\displaystyle 1.4\ell=56\)

\(\displaystyle \ell=40\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \frac{3}{5}40-14=24-14=10\)

edit: I've moved this thread here, as it's a better fit.

I believe I can explain it well, because tbh is quite easy to understand if you check out my way. The simplest thing you could've done is to express the total length of the string. You can use any letter you want, but usually l stands for length in Maths as Mark has used.

\ell=

Last edited:

1. What is the premise of "Are you smarter than a Singaporean 10 year old?"

The show "Are you smarter than a Singaporean 10 year old?" is a game show where contestants compete against a group of 10-year-old Singaporean students in various academic subjects.

2. How do the Singaporean education system and curriculum differ from other countries?

The Singaporean education system is known for its rigorous curriculum and high academic standards. It places emphasis on the mastery of fundamental skills and knowledge, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. Is the show an accurate representation of the intelligence of Singaporean 10 year olds?

The show is meant to be a fun and entertaining game show and should not be taken as a true measure of intelligence of Singaporean 10 year olds. The students who participate in the show are handpicked and may not necessarily be representative of the overall population.

4. What subjects are typically covered on the show?

The show covers a range of subjects including math, science, language arts, and social studies. The questions are designed to test the contestants' knowledge and critical thinking skills in these areas.

5. Are there any educational benefits to watching "Are you smarter than a Singaporean 10 year old?"

While the show is primarily for entertainment purposes, it can also serve as a learning opportunity for viewers. It can showcase the importance of foundational knowledge and critical thinking skills in academic success, and also highlight the academic achievements of students in Singapore.