Area enclosed by cardioid r=1-sin(θ) outside circle r=1

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
Lancelot59
Messages
640
Reaction score
1
Hi there. The book doesn't have an answer in the back for this problem, so I wanted to know if I was setting everything up correctly.

I need to find the area enclosed by r=1-sin(theta) but outside r=1. This is polar by the way. So a nice simple cardioid and circle. I decided to only do half and then double it, because of the symmetry.

Here is the integral I got.
[tex] 2*\frac{1}{2}[\int_{\frac{-\pi}{2}}^{0}{(1-sin(\theta))^{2} d\theta} - \int_{\frac{-\pi}{2}}^{0}{(1)} d\theta}][/tex]

My answer was [tex]\frac{5\pi}{2}+\frac{9}{2}[/tex]. I'm fine with integrating, I'm just wondering if I set it up correctly.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not that good at calculus,but perhaps if you could send me the complete question i might be able to help. Ezim.
 
That is the complete question. Find the area enclosed by r=1-sin(theta) but outside r=1.
 
EzimOsai said:
you mean there is no diagram or figure?
Nothing is given. I just drew a quick sketch and checked it on wolfram alpha.
 
You set-up looks fine, but your final result isn't correct. Check your work.
 
...This is getting really silly really fast. Well we established that it's just an algebra issue. I'll work it out later. Thanks.
 
Last edited: