Area in cardioid and outside circle - Using Double Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area inside of a cardioid and outside of a circle using a double integral. The solution involves finding the intersection of the two functions, setting up the appropriate limits for the integral, and correcting a missing factor of r in the integral.
anonymity
Area in cardioid and outside circle -- Using Double Integral

Homework Statement

Find the area inside of the cardioid given by r = 1 + cos[itex]\theta[/itex] and outside of the circle given by r = 3cos[itex]\theta[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]f(x,y)dA = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]f(r,[itex]\theta[/itex])rdrd[itex]\theta[/itex]

not really relevant, as it wasnt given in rectangular coordinates...oh well =s

The Attempt at a Solution

Find theta of intersection of the two lines (above x axis):

1 + cos[itex]\theta[/itex] = 3cos[itex]\theta[/itex] => 2cos[itex]\theta[/itex]= 1 => [itex]\theta[/itex] = cos-1(1/2)= [itex]\pi[/itex]/3

Looking at the graph of the situation, there are two regions. One region with the cardioid ontop of the circle, and one with only the cardioid. This first region (the region with the circle underneath the cardioid) goes from the intersection at [itex]\pi[/itex]/3, to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2.

Because the cardioid is on top, and the circle is on the bottom (for this region), we have:
[itex]\int^{\pi/2}_{\pi/3}[/itex][itex]\int^{1+cos\theta}_{3cos\theta}[/itex]drd[itex]\theta[/itex]

For the next region (the other side of the y-axis), the radius is given solely by the function for the cardioid, and the angle is from [itex]\pi[/itex]/2 to [itex]\pi[/itex]. The total area (via symmetry) is given by the sum of these two integrals multiplied by two.

A = 2 ( [itex]\int^{\pi/2}_{\pi/3}[/itex][itex]\int^{1+cos\theta}_{3cos\theta}[/itex]drd[itex]\theta[/itex] + [itex]\int^{\pi}_{\pi/2}[/itex][itex]\int^{3cos\theta}_{0}[/itex]drd[itex]\theta[/itex])

However, this integral produces the wrong answer. I think that the problem is with my limits for r on the first integral above ([itex]\int^{1+cos\theta}_{3cos\theta}[/itex]), however I am not quite sure what the problem is..

Can anyone give me a hint or a hand (though from my experience homework helpers on physics forums arent into hand holding as far as problem solving goes.. =])

the reason I chose those limits for the radius stems from the fact that the circle is on the bottom and the cardioid is on top [from the circle, to the cardioid --- from 3cos(t) to 1 + cos(t)]

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

Do you know that the area in polar coordinates can be represented by:

[itex]\int_a^b {r^{2}d\theta}[/itex]

where a and b are the values of theta you want the area between. I think this approach is clearer.

Yes but this is for a multivariable calc class and this question asks for this to be done with a double integral.
I thought I said this. If not, sorry.

It seems that your integral is missing an r, i.e. it should be an integral of rdrdθ

oh duh i am so dumb... dA = rdrd[itex]\theta[/itex] ><

would that matter though? I didnt convert it from Cartesian coordinates..

Yes, it would, since the area of the "infinitesimal" in polar coordinates is always rdrdθ, not drdθ (which you can see from a diagram). It doesn't matter if you convert or not, when you perform such integrations, you have to include this factor.

A = [itex]\int\int[/itex]dA = [itex]\int\int rdrd\theta[/itex]

just saw a theorem in my book. Thanks for your help =s

1. What is the formula for finding the area in a cardioid and outside a circle using double integrals?

The formula for finding the area in a cardioid and outside a circle using double integrals is ∬(1 - cosθ) r^2 dA, where r is the radius of the circle and θ is the angle between the radius and the x-axis.

2. How do you set up the double integral for finding the area in a cardioid and outside a circle?

To set up the double integral, you need to define the boundaries for both x and y. For the circle, the boundaries will be from -r to r for both x and y. For the cardioid, the boundaries for x will be from -2r to 2r, and for y, it will be from 0 to r. The equation for the double integral will be ∬(1 - cosθ) r^2 dA, with the above boundaries.

3. What is the significance of using a double integral to find the area in a cardioid and outside a circle?

A double integral is used to find the area in a cardioid and outside a circle because it allows us to break down the complex shape into smaller, more manageable parts. It also takes into account the changing angle of the radius, making it a more accurate method for finding the area.

4. Can you use any other method besides double integrals to find the area in a cardioid and outside a circle?

Yes, you can use other methods such as polar coordinates or the disk and washer method. However, these methods may not be as accurate and may require more complex calculations. Double integrals are the most efficient and accurate method for finding the area in a cardioid and outside a circle.

5. How is the area in a cardioid and outside a circle related to the concept of integration?

The area in a cardioid and outside a circle is directly related to the concept of integration. Integration is the process of finding the area under a curve, and in this case, we are finding the area under the curve of the cardioid and circle. Double integrals are simply an extension of single integrals, allowing us to find the area in more complex shapes such as the cardioid and circle.