Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of figure, resulting from unit square transformation

1. May 29, 2015 #1
    1- Let the linear operator on R^2 have the following matrix:

A = 1 0
    -1 3

What is the area of the figure that results from applying this transformation to the unit square?

2- I am abit confused here, I thought that the matrix for the unit square would be,
    0 0
    1 0
    0 1
    1 1....
    But apparently that is not it.

And after finding the unit square matrix, I blv I would find the images of it by computing A^Tx

I am not sure though

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

A square would be four points. You seem to have collected four points that make up one particular unit square, and arranged them as a 2x4 array. That is kind of odd.

What does it mean to be a linear operator on R^2? What does the operator A operate on? Hint: R^2 means there are two real numbers involved. But there seem to be 8 real numbers involved in your square. So how is that going to work?

4. May 29, 2015 #3
    oh. ok, so are they asking to find the Ax? where x would be the unit square.. so like
    [10. ] [ 1 0]
    [ 1 3 ] [ 01 ] ...

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  5. May 30, 2015 #4
    anyone?

6. Jun 1, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That matrix is NOT the unit square. The unit square is a geometric figure, not a matrix, that has vertices at (0, 0), (1, 0), (1, 1), and (0, 1).
    The bottom side, from (0, 0) to (1, 0), the vector [itex]\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/itex], is mapped into
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ -1 & 3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The left side, from (0, 0) to (0, 1), the vector [itex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}[/itex], is mapped into
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ -1 & 3 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The other two sides get mapped into equivalent vectors so this is a parallelogram with vertices at (0, 0), (1, -1), (1, 2), and (0, 3).
    It should be easy to find the area of that parallelogram.

(And, it is worth noting that this matrix has determinant 3.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook