Argument against Dark Matter - please enjoy yourself for a moment

In summary, magnets are still a mystery, although virtual photons are a possible explanation for how objects affect each other at a distance.
lenfromkits
Hi. I just had to share this little gem. Regardless of your points of view on Dark Matter versus other ideas (ie MOND in this case), this webpage is so well done and funny if you're a geek like me.

(a conversation between Arnold Schwarzenegger and a physicist)...
http://burro.astr.cwru.edu/ArnoldMOND/ahnoldmond.html

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Amusing. I think of dark matter by pretending I'm a a caveman trying to understand a permanent magnet. I see that an iron nugget suspended by a plant fiber is pulled in the direction of the magnet, but, cannot see any fiber connecting them.

Chronos said:
Amusing. I think of dark matter by pretending I'm a a caveman trying to understand a permanent magnet. I see that an iron nugget suspended by a plant fiber is pulled in the direction of the magnet, but, cannot see any fiber connecting them.

Interesting. Well. Considering we still do not truly know how two particles can affect each other at a distance, we're still stuck on the magnet puzzle! We're probably just better at using string instead of plant fiber.
:)

(ie, "action at a distance" isn't solved, although some theorize about virtual photons)

Last edited:
lenfromkits said:
Interesting. Well. Considering we still do not truly know how two particles can affect each other at a distance, we're still stuck on the magnet puzzle! We're probably just better at using string instead of plant fiber.
:)

(ie, "action at a distance" isn't solved, although some theorize about virtual photons)

And, those "some" find their predictions matching experimental results to as many as 11 significant figures. (And, more generally, to as many significant figures as both the predictions and experiments can be trusted to, given uncertainty bounds.)

The protestations of Insane Clown Posse not withstanding, we really do understand magnets. Virtual photons are just one particular way of expressing that 4-momentum is transferred from one object to the other via electromagnetic fields with certain dynamical properties.

I appreciate the humor in this conversation between Arnold Schwarzenegger and a physicist. However, while it may be entertaining, it is important to base scientific beliefs on evidence and research rather than just personal opinions or jokes. The existence of dark matter has been supported by numerous observations and experiments, and while other theories such as MOND may offer alternative explanations, they have not yet been able to fully explain all of the observed phenomena. As scientists, it is our responsibility to continue to gather data and conduct research in order to better understand the universe, rather than dismissing ideas based on humor or personal beliefs.

1. What is the argument against dark matter?

The argument against dark matter is that it is a theoretical concept proposed to explain the observed gravitational effects in the universe, but there is no direct evidence for its existence.

2. How does the absence of direct evidence affect the argument against dark matter?

The absence of direct evidence makes the argument against dark matter stronger, as it raises doubts about its existence and brings into question the validity of using it to explain observed phenomena.

3. Can dark matter be observed or detected in any way?

Currently, there is no direct way to observe or detect dark matter. Scientists have only been able to indirectly measure its effects on the movement of objects in the universe.

4. What are some alternative theories to explain the observed gravitational effects without dark matter?

Some alternative theories include modified Newtonian dynamics (MOND) and the theory of modified gravity (MOG). These theories propose that the laws of gravity may need to be modified at large scales to explain the observed effects without the need for dark matter.

5. Is the argument against dark matter widely accepted in the scientific community?

The argument against dark matter is a topic of ongoing debate and there is no consensus in the scientific community. Some scientists believe in the existence of dark matter, while others support alternative theories or believe that more evidence is needed to make a conclusion.