Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arrangement of Other Sciences subforum?

1. Dec 13, 2005 #1
    arrangement of "Other Sciences" subforum?

Hey, I noticed that the subforum "Other Sciences" (Chemistry, Biology, Mind & Brain Sciences, Social Science, Earth) has been rearranged. Before, it has been:
    *Biology
    *Chemistry
    *Earth
    *Social Sciences
    *Mind & Brain Sciences
    -------------
    And now it is:
    *Chemistry
    *Biology
    *Mind & Brain Sciences
    *Social Sciences
    *Earth
    ---------------------------
    -Don't worry...I'm not complaining :redface:
    (I'm just curious as to why it has been rearranged :shy:)

So, why have the "Other Sciences" been rearranged in the subforum?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2005 #2

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I have a guess: the Brain part of Mind & Brain Sciences; there's a large overlap with biology, so they wanted those two forums to be listed closer together. I think they also end up talking about biology a lot in M&BS (Hah, M&BS).

4. Dec 13, 2005 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I assumed it was in order of which were most frequently used.
    Note Earth sciences lingering at the bottom (:frown:)

5. Dec 13, 2005 #4

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I'll visit and ask some questions. What do you know?

6. Dec 13, 2005 #5

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Thanks, but don't feel obliged to visit just for me.

7. Dec 13, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's the reason for the rearrangement. M&B overlaps with both biology and social sciences (psychology), so it made for a more logical progression to nest it between the two.

While we're at it, we've been discussing it in the mentor's forum, but I see no reason not to open it up for discussion here...does anyone have a better suggestion for a name for the "Other Sciences" forum? It sounds rather bland and somewhat dismissive to call it "other" sciences, but we're having trouble thinking of something snazzier that encompasses all the topics included in it.

8. Dec 13, 2005 #7
    Just another thing pengwuino can add to his list :smile:

9. Dec 13, 2005 #8

Danger

Gold Member

You can combine Mind and Brain Sciences with Earth Sciences and call it the Dirty Mind forum.

10. Dec 13, 2005 #9
    Perhaps using the term "Miscellaneous" or the abbreviated version "Misc." Since it is difficult to put them all into one category, a "Miscellaneous Sciences" forum would work.

11. Dec 13, 2005 #10

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, beforehand the ordering of the forums was pretty much random. Now it roughly traces a path from reductive bases to emergent phenomena: from the chemistries of organic molecules emerges biology, from biological organisms emerges the brain and the mind, and from individual human minds/brains emerge societies and cultures.

As for how Earth science fits into all that, well, nothing's perfect and Earth science is a bit of a misfit we just tacked on at the end. Either that or the Earth emerges from economics, I can't remember which.

Yes, the eternal crisis. Lately I'm thinking maybe "Random Stuff Sciences" or "Bigger Than A Breadbox Sciences"

12. Dec 13, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was thinking more along the lines of "Too Cool and Good Looking for Penguwino Sciences." :biggrin: :devil:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?