Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arthur Benjamin the methamagician

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1

cronxeh

Gold Member

Ok I'll confess, I've seen this guy on the Comedy Central.. either Colbert nation or daily show-cant remember-does not matter. But he got me thinking, he was multiplying 3 digit numbers without even waiting for Jon to finish..

A little more digging uncovered this awesomeness:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/arthur_benjamin_does_mathemagic.html

This guy is awesome. On par with a statement a la "To the last, I grapple with thee; from hell's heart, I stab at thee; for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee." He looks like the devil of sexiness. The prince of darkness of algebra. Anyone know what his deal is? He is not a savant, which brings me to another conjecture.. perhaps savants are not that smart either?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2
    He kinda explained how he did it at the end; replacing numbers with words which is easier to remember.
    He did get one wrong though, someone gave him 722 to square and he said it's a harder one and said 513,284. The lady on stage verified it as correct, but it's not. It's 521,284.

4. Jan 28, 2010 #3
    Even with his explanation on the last one that was still amazing. It probably would have taken me that entire episode to figure out the last one. :rofl:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook