1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Article about making physics degree more employable

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    what do you guys think of this?
    http://physicspost.com/articles.php?articleId=211&page=2 [Broken]

that part where he said that if you want to go into mechanical engineering, you should spend another semester taking mechE classes

the problem i'm having is that, since i go by the quarter/trimester system, and only need 4 classes each to complete my applied math and physics B.S. degrees, i dont really have room to take mechE classes. also, if i were to go into mechE, i would get at least a M.S., so i could always take those mechE classes as a grad student, right?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I didn't get that from the article at all. I would think that if you want to go into mechanical engineering, you should major in mechanical engineering.

4. Feb 23, 2009 #3

Makes the most sense.

5. Feb 23, 2009 #4
    i meant if one is almost done with college, hence its too late to major in mechanical engineering

6. Feb 24, 2009 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you want to be a mechanical engineer, and haven't taken enough mechanical engineering courses, you're not "almost done with college", are you?

7. Feb 24, 2009 #6
    yes, i'm almost done as i only need 4 more classes to complete the physics major

8. Feb 24, 2009 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think you're missing my point. My point is that you are in college to learn, not to finish on some timetable. If you want to learn mechanical engineering, and need N more classes to get a BSME degree, you need N more classes to get a BSME degree. Whether or not you need fewer than N classes to get some other degree is simply not relevant.

9. Feb 24, 2009 #8
    I tend to agree with the OP that another option is to apply to master's programs in mechanical engineering (if the student is resourceful, he/she might find funding for this). at his point, to get PE certification, you need an BS in an accredited engineering program, but I believe it's in the works to eventually (2012?) Allow individuals with a science degree and ~30 credits in MS-level engineering coursework (or the MS degree itself) to apply for the Professional Engineer licensure.

I'd still think that at this point it'd be advisable for the OP to take a few mechanical engineering classes at the BS-level... to give himself/herself a bit of background in the field AND make sure it's really the career path that he/she would like to pursue. Perhaps it's be best to do this and drop one of the majors (applied math & physics) down to a minor.

10. Feb 24, 2009 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm not so sure I'd be willing to risk my career based on a path to licensure "in the works". Furthermore, to study engineering effectively at the graduate level, one needs more or less a BS level equivalent in the engineering specialty anyway.

11. Feb 24, 2009 #10
    what if i only need 4 classes for each major? (we're on the trimester system)
    oh, also, my school doesnt even offer a minor in physics

12. Feb 24, 2009 #11
    You don't necessarily need a B.S. in engineering to become licensed. Also, many engineering departments will let you take remedial undergraduate classes while being enrolled in a masters program.

13. Feb 25, 2009 #12

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Depends on the state.

While it's certainly silly that some states won't license a person with a BS in physics, and an MS and PhD in engineering, that's how they operate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook