Astronomy, fraction of stars to have ever lived

In summary, the question asks for the fraction of all 2M(sun) stars ever made in the Galaxy that are still burning on the main sequence, assuming a constant rate of star formation and an age of 10GYRS for the Galaxy. The suggested approach is to use the Salpeter IMF and find the constant epsilon, then calculate the total number of stars with masses from 2M(sun) to 100M(sun). However, this may not be necessary as you can assume a constant formation rate of 2M stars per year and calculate the total number formed over the galaxy's lifetime. Knowing how long a 2M star lasts on the main sequence, you can also determine how many have left the main
Chronos000

Homework Statement

The question asks for the fraction of all 2M(sun) stars ever made in the Galaxy that are still burning on the main sequence. It assumes star formation at constant rate. The age of the Galaxy is 10GYRS

To do this I imagine you use the salpeter IMF and find the constant epsilon by equating the total mass per year to be 1 M(sun) - value taken from earlier question, don't know if this is correct to do this.

once a value for epsilon is found, I have found the total number of stars with masses from 2M(sun) to 100M(sun) - I don't know how to isolate just the 2M(sun) stars

The value I get says for every 1 star >2M(sun) there has to be 20M(sun) worth of stars made.

So in ten billion years there will have been 10G M(sun) worth made. divide by 20M(sun) gives approx 500M stars with 2M(sun).

I don't know how I go about getting the fraction that are still on the main sequence.
It also wants the same fraction is the star formation rate decreases with some exponential. Do I just equate the total mass to this instead?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unless I'm misunderstanding, you don't need to do any of the calculations you've done. Just assume that k 2M stars form every year. You can easily calculate the total number formed over the galaxy's lifetime. If you know how long a 2M star lasts on the main sequence--and I don't see how you can do the question without this information--you can also find out how many have left the main sequence over the galaxy's lifetime.

You'll find that for the final answer, the k cancels out; you don't need to know its value.

1. What is the fraction of stars to have ever lived in the universe?

The fraction of stars to have ever lived in the universe is estimated to be around 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%. This number is incredibly small due to the vastness of the universe and the fact that stars have been forming and dying for billions of years.

2. How do astronomers determine the fraction of stars to have ever lived?

Astronomers determine the fraction of stars to have ever lived by studying the age distribution of stars in a given galaxy. By analyzing the number of stars at different stages of their life cycles, they can estimate the total number of stars that have ever existed in that galaxy.

3. Are all stars the same age?

No, not all stars are the same age. Stars form at different times and in different regions of the universe. Therefore, the age distribution of stars in a particular galaxy can vary greatly.

4. How many stars are currently alive in the universe?

It is estimated that there are currently around 10^24 (1 septillion) stars in the observable universe. However, this number is constantly changing as new stars are born and others die.

5. What is the significance of knowing the fraction of stars to have ever lived?

Understanding the fraction of stars to have ever lived can provide insight into the history and evolution of the universe. It can also help scientists better understand the processes that lead to star formation and death, as well as the distribution of elements throughout the universe.