At what point does the jumper attain maximum acceleration?

In summary: The rest has gone into KE.In summary, the bungee jumper with a mass of 65 kg and a spring constant of 150 N/m attains maximum speed at -4.25 m and a maximum speed of 6.3 m/s. The jumper's maximum acceleration and its value are unknown. The equation vf^2 - vi^2 = 2ad can be used to calculate the maximum speed, but the answer may be too low. The equation v=sqrt(2g(h-x) can also be used, but the answer may be too high. The distance descended, amount of gravitational potential energy lost, and amount of potential energy used to stretch the cord can be calculated to determine the remaining kinetic energy
Sneakatone
Consider a bungee jumper of mass 65 kg with a 9.00-m cord tied to his ankles. When stretched, this cord may be treated as a spring, of spring constant 150 N/m. Note that the jump-off point is at x=9.00 m, and the origin for the x-coordinate is at the point where the rubber cord becomes taut.
a) At what point does the jumper attain maximum speed?
0=(65kg)(9.81)+150x
x=-4.25

b)what is the maximum speed?
mv^2=kx^2
v=6.3

c)at what point does the jumper attain maximum acceleration?
d) what is the value of this maximum acceleration?

I do not know how to do part c and d.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sneakatone said:
a) At what point does the jumper attain maximum speed?
0=(65kg)(9.81)+150x
x=-4.25
Yes
b)what is the maximum speed?
mv^2=kx^2
v=6.3
How do you get that equation? The answer is too low.
c)at what point does the jumper attain maximum acceleration?
d) what is the value of this maximum acceleration?

I do not know how to do part c and d.
The force of gravity is constant, so you only have to think about the minimum and maximum of other forces.

b) vf^2 - vi^2 = 2ad ( new equation)
v=sqrt(2*-9.81*-4.25)=8.85 m/s^2

Sneakatone said:
b) vf^2 - vi^2 = 2ad ( new equation)
v=sqrt(2*-9.81*-4.25)=8.85 m/s^2
Still too low.
How far has the jumper descended at this point? how much gravitational PE has been lost? How much PE has gone into stretching the cord? What does that leave for the KE?

I found v=sqrt(2g(h-x)=16.1

Sneakatone said:
I found v=sqrt(2g(h-x)=16.1

Now you've gone too high. As I indicated in my previous post, some of the lost gravitational PE has gone into stretching the rope.

1. What is maximum acceleration?

Maximum acceleration is the highest rate of change in an object's velocity. It is the point at which the object would be gaining the most speed in a given amount of time.

2. How is maximum acceleration calculated?

Maximum acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. This can also be expressed as the derivative of an object's velocity with respect to time.

3. Does every object have a maximum acceleration?

Yes, every object has a maximum acceleration. However, the value of maximum acceleration may vary depending on the object's mass, shape, and the forces acting upon it.

4. What factors affect the point at which a jumper attains maximum acceleration?

The main factors that affect the point at which a jumper attains maximum acceleration are the jumper's mass, the force of gravity, air resistance, and the height from which the jumper is jumping.

5. How can the maximum acceleration of a jumper be increased?

The maximum acceleration of a jumper can be increased by reducing the force of air resistance, increasing the height from which the jumper is jumping, or by increasing the force of gravity (e.g. by jumping on a planet with a higher gravitational pull).