At what wavelength do we observe ionized gas?

In summary, the question is at which wavelength ionized gas can be observed. Ionized gas is a result of extreme temperatures causing particles to fly around, and it is commonly found in space. The energy 13.6 eV is important as it is enough to ionize a ground state hydrogen atom, and even in hot gas, there is usually a minority of atoms that are not ionized. High energy photons of soft x-rays can still ionize atoms, but it is only photons with energy over 100-200 eV that can pass through the Milky Way. This means that far UV cannot be observed, but near UV and visual light can be observed as byproducts.
Mikkel
TL;DR Summary
At what wavelength do we observe ionized gas?
Hello!

My question is this: At which wavelength do we observe ionized gas?

My understanding is this: An ionized gas is basically a soup of particles flying around, because of the extreme temperatures (plasma?). So if we have particles moving around with such high velocities, I would expect to observe this in X-rays, but I lack the physical argument as to why. Gamma-rays would probably be caused by supernovae?

I find different answers when I search for it and it has something to do with the energy 13.6 eV...?

Hope someone can clarify this for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It has something to do with 13,6 eV.
That´ s Lyman edge. Which means the energy enough to ionize a ground state hydrogen atom.
Hydrogen atoms are very common in space. Even in quite hot gas, where most atoms are ionized, there is often an appreciable minority of atoms that are not ionized.
Now, edge absorption is very strong. Near Solar System, in Milky Way disc, the interstellar gas, sparse as it is, seems to absorb most UV with energy of just over 13,6 eV in a matter of just a few lightyears.
High energy photons of soft x-rays can still ionize atoms - they have more than enough energy for this - but they have lower probability of absorption. But it seems to be that it is only photons with energy over 100...200 eV that can get through Milky Way.
If a cloud of ionized gas is hot enough that it emits high energy UV, like 15 or 20 eV, then this far UV will be absorbed by moderately hot gas around Sun or already at the cooler edges of the hot cloud emitting such far UV. So far UV cannot be observed. What can be observed is near UV and visual light which is produced as byproducts.

1. What is ionized gas?

Ionized gas is a state of matter in which the atoms or molecules have lost one or more electrons, resulting in a net positive charge.

2. Why do we observe ionized gas?

We observe ionized gas because it can provide valuable information about the physical and chemical properties of objects in space, such as stars, galaxies, and interstellar medium.

3. What is the significance of observing ionized gas at different wavelengths?

Observing ionized gas at different wavelengths allows us to study different aspects of the gas, such as its temperature, density, and composition. This can give us a more complete understanding of the object being observed.

4. At what wavelengths can we observe ionized gas?

We can observe ionized gas at a wide range of wavelengths, from radio waves to X-rays. However, the most commonly used wavelengths for observing ionized gas are optical and infrared.

5. How do we observe ionized gas at different wavelengths?

We use different types of telescopes and instruments to observe ionized gas at different wavelengths. For example, optical telescopes use mirrors and lenses to collect and focus visible light, while radio telescopes use antennas to detect radio waves.