Athlete running 3 more laps each day: why do I get 57 instead of 42?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter gotah
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
gotah
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I have a Q that says:
An athlete must each day run three laps more than the day before. On the sixth day she runs 17laps
Calculate how many laps she runs 1.) on the first day 2.) in total by the end of the sixth day.

in 1.
I know that Un=U1+(n-1)d
where d=3
Un=17
n=6

i then get 17= U1 + (6-1)3, and I get U = 2

In 2 i use S=(n/2)(2*U1 + (n-1)d)
so S = (6/2)(2*2+(6-1)3) =57 (in the answer sheet it says that it's 42) what am I doing wrong?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
gotah said:
I have a Q that says:
An athlete must each day run three laps more than the day before. On the sixth day she runs 17laps
Calculate how many laps she runs 1.) on the first day 2.) in total by the end of the sixth day.

in 1.
I know that Un=U1+(n-1)d
where d=3
Un=17
n=6

i then get 17= U1 + (6-1)3, and I get U = 2

In 2 i use S=(n/2)(2*U1 + (n-1)d)
so S = (6/2)(2*2+(6-1)3) =57 (in the answer sheet it says that it's 42) what am I doing wrong?

Nothing, your argument has the athlete running: 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17. Which satisfy the conditions of the problem and sums to 57.

Also your method is correct.

CB