Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic BOMB but not RADIOACTIVE!

1. Aug 14, 2007 #1
    i heard that there is an idea (i don't know if it's true) that we can make ANY ELEMENT radioactive! and i thought "wtf"!:grumpy:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2007 #2
    is it possible?!

4. Aug 14, 2007 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure you can. Just shoot in a proton or a neutron with enough energy so that it sticks to the nucleus.
    But probably the element will not be stable enough to survive for more than a few microseconds or even less.

5. Aug 14, 2007 #4
    so its NO USE?!

6. Aug 14, 2007 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, in fact it would take a lot of wasted energy :smile:
    Only a few elements do have sufficiently stable isotopes to be useful. Otherwise, we could just let our nuclear reactors run on carbon instead of the much heavier uranium, and nuclear fusion would have been industrially usable by now.

7. Aug 14, 2007 #6
  8. Aug 14, 2007 #7
    Historical note: I think it was Joliot-Curie who got the Nobel prize in 1935 for the discovery of this thing. That you can take a substance and make it radioactive by bombarding it with (in their case) alpha particles.

9. Aug 14, 2007 #8
  10. Aug 14, 2007 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?