Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atypical definition of decreasing function

1. Mar 8, 2006 #1
    1 few days ago i saw a "strange" definition of a decreasing function in the web, but i cant find it now. there were three relationships, and when showing that one implies another, you could tell that the function is decreasing. one relationship looked like this:
    [tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]
    does it look familiar?

2 there is a function:
    [tex]f(x)=\frac{2x+cos {x}}{3+x^{2}}[/tex]
    how can find if it is periodic[al?]? i've heard that the polynomial of an odd degree is not periodic[al], can I use this principle to define whether that function is periodic[al] or not? does this principle say[tell? sorry for this ungrammatical statement], that there are some polynomials of an even degree that are periodic[al]?

3 is it spelt periodic or periodical? ;/

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

2 What you have here is not a polynomial. It's not even a quotient of polynomials. The general idea when trying to get determinethe period (if it exists) of a function is simply to write f(x) = f(x+L) and solve for L. If L is of the form kP (k integer), then P is your period.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?