Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

August 18 - Conjunction of Venus and Jupiter

1. Aug 16, 2014 #1
    August 18 - Conjunction of Venus and Jupiter. Conjunctions are rare events where two or more objects will appear extremely close together in the night sky. The two bright planets will come unusually close to each other, only a quarter of a degree, in the early morning sky. Also, the beehive cluster in the constellation Cancer will be only 1 degree away. This rare, double-planet event is definitely one not to miss. Look for the bright planets in the east just before sunrise.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2014 #2
    Yes, Thanks; I came across that yesterday and sent it to a friend...ought to be nice if you can get up a hour before sunrise tomorrow and have a clear view of the eastern horizon. Ought to be able to get a shot of both in the same field of view of a low to medium power eyepiece.

4. Aug 17, 2014 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

we have torrential rain here didn't see a thing :frown:

Dave

5. Aug 17, 2014 #4
  6. Aug 17, 2014 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hahaha good one

I suspect that will occur with many people in many countries

7. Aug 18, 2014 #6

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

Our eastern horizon is mostly trees and houses, so I only got to see Venus & Jupiter through a gap when the sky was already quite light, around 5:30am UK time. They were still visible, very close together, for a short while, but Jupiter soon became difficult to see against the light sky.

8. Sep 6, 2014 #7
    The goddess of love in the courtyard of the great god jupiter as the Greeks saw it.

LOL

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook