Authorship order in a theoretical paper

In summary, your advisor gets to decide who goes where on any paper. Unless he/she asks for your opinion, I would suggest you follow along.
harith
In a theoretical paper, the primary investigator which is my advisor, is first author, and he also writes the first draft. Me, the second author, and another graduate student have contributed substantially to the numerical simulation. We have another external collaborator which has not contributed that much, and my advisor selected him/her to be the last author. Do you think that this is a fair order, regarding the position of the second and last authors? In other words, where should the one who had the second major contribution be positioned in the author list?

Physics news on Phys.org
harith said:
In a theoretical paper, the primary investigator which is my advisor, is first author, and he also writes the first draft. Me, the second author, and another graduate student have contributed substantially to the numerical simulation. We have another external collaborator which has not contributed that much, and my advisor selected him/her to be the last author. Do you think that this is a fair order, regarding the position of the second and last authors? In other words, where should the one who had the second major contribution be positioned in the author list?

At this stage, your advisor gets to decide who goes where on any paper. Unless he/she asks for your opinion, I would suggest you follow along.

When you become the principle investigator, then you get to decide.

Zz.

harith said:

I find it a bit odd that your advisor didn't choose to be the last author. Usually the PI takes the last slot, as it indicates they were the one who oversaw the research project. It's not a hard rule, though, more like a rule of thumb, so if your PI wants to be first, he can choose to be first. Alternatively, you're sure the author listing isn't alphabetical and you just didn't notice?

As ZapperZ stated, your advisor is the one who guided the work, so ultimately he gets to choose the order of the author list. If you really, really, really felt like it was unfair, you could raise your concerns to your advisor, but I've never seen that result in a differently ordered author list in practice.

Mute said:
I find it a bit odd that your advisor didn't choose to be the last author. Usually the PI takes the last slot, as it indicates they were the one who oversaw the research project. It's not a hard rule, though, more like a rule of thumb, so if your PI wants to be first, he can choose to be first. Alternatively, you're sure the author listing isn't alphabetical and you just didn't notice?

The PI gets to be towards the end of the authors list only when he/she acts in the supervisory/advisory capacity. Otherwise, if he/she puts in as much effort as anyone else, then he/she should be placed higher on the list, even first, if it is warranted. I've seen PIs listed as first author on many papers, and more often than not, in theoretical papers.

Zz.

The authorship order in a theoretical paper can be a sensitive issue and it is important to ensure that all contributors are appropriately recognized for their contributions. In this case, it seems that the primary investigator, who is also the first author, has made significant contributions to the paper by writing the first draft. As the second author, it is important to acknowledge your substantial contributions to the numerical simulation. The position of the last author, who is an external collaborator, can be determined by the level of their contribution to the paper. If they have not contributed significantly, it may be appropriate for them to be placed last in the author list.

However, it is also important to consider the specific contributions of each author and their level of involvement in the research. If the second author has made a significant contribution to the paper and their work is crucial to the overall findings, they may be more appropriately placed as the last author. This decision should be made in consultation with all authors and based on their individual contributions.

Ultimately, the authorship order should accurately reflect the contributions of each author and should not be based solely on their position or level of seniority. It is important to have open and transparent communication among all authors to ensure that the authorship order is fair and equitable.

1. What is the significance of authorship order in a theoretical paper?

Authorship order in a theoretical paper is important because it determines the credit and responsibility assigned to each author for the work presented. It also reflects the contributions and expertise of each author in the research process.

2. How is authorship order typically determined in a theoretical paper?

Authorship order is typically determined by the amount of intellectual and practical contributions made by each author. This can include designing the research, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and writing the paper. The order may also be influenced by the level of expertise and seniority of each author.

3. Is it possible to change the authorship order after the paper has been published?

It is generally not recommended to change the authorship order after a paper has been published. The order should accurately reflect the contributions made during the research process. However, if changes need to be made, it is important to discuss and agree upon them with all authors involved.

4. Can someone be listed as an author on a theoretical paper even if they did not contribute significantly to the research?

In order to be listed as an author on a theoretical paper, an individual should have made substantial contributions to the research. Merely providing minor assistance or funding does not qualify for authorship. However, individuals who have made small contributions may still be acknowledged in the paper's acknowledgments section.

5. Are there any ethical considerations related to authorship order in a theoretical paper?

Yes, there are ethical considerations related to authorship order. All authors should agree to the final authorship order and be aware of their responsibilities and contributions. Plagiarism or misrepresentation of authorship order is a serious ethical violation and should be avoided at all costs.