Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Auto-save feature bogs down web browser dramatically

1. Feb 25, 2015 #1

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I first start typing in the Reply box, everything is fine. Then, a few minutes later, I see a little message that says "Draft saved" or something like that. As soon as that happens, typing b e c o m e s. W a y. T o o. S l o w. Like literally seconds elapse between keypress and the letter appearing on the screen.

This happens in IE 11 Modern on Win8.1, and also on Firefox 20-something on Ubuntu 14.10. So I think it's a problem with how this feature is coded.

Is there at least any way to disable this? Otherwise, typing long posts to explain mathematical finery will be too excruciating to bother with any longer.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2015 #2
    How many characters long are we talking? How long has it been happening?

4. Feb 25, 2015 #3

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Feb 25, 2015 #4
    hmm that doesn't look too long. I know initial loading is a little show due to all the MathJax but I wouldn't think that affects the draft saving.

6. Feb 25, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't know where the initial problem comes from (works fine for me), but as a workaround, you could type the post somewhere else and copy it to the forums for preview/posting only.

7. Mar 4, 2015 #6

Drakkith

No problems here. I'm using Chrome Version 40.0.2214.115 m and either Windows 8.1 or 7. (8.1 on my laptop, 7 on my desktop)

8. Mar 5, 2015 #7

russ_watters

Chrome on Windows 7 on several reasonably fast computers...and a phone...has been fine for me.

9. Mar 5, 2015 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I use both FireFox and IE (both on a laptop) and have not seen any such problem.

10. Mar 7, 2015 #9

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have huge problems with the page that Ben linked to, and with all the threads I'm active in really. It took 1 minute 36 seconds to load the LaTeX on that one. I closed the page and went back here to click the link again. This time I tried typing some stuff in the editor box at the bottom while I waited for the final version of the LaTeX to show up. It was painfully slow. I could type at least half a sentence like this one without a single symbol appearing on the screen. This time it took me about 2 minutes and 40 seconds to load the LaTeX. After that, the typing situation improved, but not to the point where things appear as I type them. The text that appears on the screen is still a few words behind what I'm typing.

I had no problems typing this reply, even with that other thread open in another tab. The situation on that tab hasn't improved any more during the time it took me to type this reply.

I doubt that it has anything to do with auto-save. I verified that what I'm typing here is being auto-saved, by opening this thread in another tab a couple of times before I was finished.

11. Mar 7, 2015 #10

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I think I agree that it has something to do with the Latex script rather than with autosave.

12. Mar 7, 2015 #11
    I started noticing a couple of days ago, that pages from PF with LaTeX on them completely bog down my browser when accessed. Apparently I'm not the only one.

I run Chrome version 41.0.2272.76 on Windows 7.

13. Mar 7, 2015 #12
    Hmmm some threads that have lots of latex to process are slower, but the one Ben linked to loaded in about 5 seconds for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook