Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Avatar liberation and 24/7 chat! You are not dreaming

1. Sep 5, 2013 #1
    Avatar liberation and 24/7 chat! You are not dreaming :)

Physics Forums is happy to announce that avatars are now free for everyone!

Select or upload yours today!
    https://www.physicsforums.com/profile.php?do=editavatar [Broken]

24/7 PF chat is here! Available to PF Patrons (Gold members), Homework Helpers and Science Advisors. You'll find the link on the homepage right side bar. I'll also be putting it in your quick links drop down menu later today.

Join the fun and support PF today!
    https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php [Broken]

Sunday and holiday chat will still be available for all.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2013 #2
    *sighs in relief and dumps the idea of going on a hunger strike*
    :biggrin:

Thanks for the avatar, Greg...Will upgrade to gold--- as soon as I decide to open a paypal account...:rolleyes:

4. Sep 5, 2013 #3
    Thank you for Avatar

5. Sep 5, 2013 #4
    haha no problem, enjoy!

6. Sep 5, 2013 #5
    That's pretty nice. Wonder if all the avatars are gonna make the site noticeably slower?

Anyway, what made you change your mind about the chat? It has been asked quite a few times already, and the answer was always negative. Is it in testing phase, or is it coming to stay?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Sep 5, 2013 #6
    The images are quite small and all stored on CDN so there shouldn't be any noticeable slower speed. Let me know if you do feel some though.

We have restricted it to PF Patrons (Gold members) only. It's a nice perk.

8. Sep 5, 2013 #7

reenmachine

Gold Member

Very nice !!!

9. Sep 5, 2013 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Come on into chat and let's give it a spin.

10. Sep 5, 2013 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like it, being the visual kind of member I am.

But I would give up my avatar if it ever became an overhead problem.

11. Sep 6, 2013 #10

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Considering that between 90% and 99% of the time to load a page for me is taken up by finding out and displaying how many people have liked/shared it on facebook, google, and linkedin, you could increase the avatars to 800x600 pixels without slowing anything down much more.

It's impossible to scroll the page or click on links reliably while my browser(s) are fooling around reformatting the page deciding where to position those "like counts".

But hey, knowing how many people "liked" a page is obviously the most important information on the page, so I guess it's worth the wait.

If you are trying to make more money, how about starting a premium rate chat for people to discuss their own "private theories", without giving them access to any other parts of the forum... :devil:

12. Sep 6, 2013 #11
    I will look into the issue. Next grievance please start a new thread and let me know earlier before you burst.

13. Sep 6, 2013 #12
    What browser do you use? Either way there are some really good extensions that block facebook and twitter, G+ and all the other websites that track you. That way, you'll not see the +1 icons.

To name a few:

- Ghostery (the one I use)
    - Disconnect
    - You also have a filter list on adblock plus, but it takes way too much ram on my PC, no idea why.

14. Sep 7, 2013 #13
    Btw Greg, you changed the font size right? It's much better now.

15. Sep 7, 2013 #14
    Since when? I don't think I've changed it since the new layout last March :)

16. Sep 7, 2013 #15
    Like 3 days ago or something? I remember that I had to ctrl+ and even installed a contrast add-on to better read PF. Weird.

EDIT:

Now that I think about it, I did change fonts on my chrome browser. I then used Ccleaner, so ya, it probably undid what I changed. Oh well, it looks perfect now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook