Average energy of atoms in the Stern–Gerlach experiment

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Keky
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have been reading about the Stern–Gerlach experiment and found that the atoms leaving the oven in the experiment have an average energy of 2kT, rather than an energy of 3kT/2 for a gas. I can not find a reason for this higher energy myself and would like suggestions on why this seems to be taken for granted on many reports I have read, and why it is so.

Thanks,

Char.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is because the atoms effuse out of the oven. Effusion should be covered in an undergrad kinetic theory course. The speed distribution in the beam is
[tex]\propto v^3exp(-mv^2/2kT)[/tex]
rather than the usual
[tex]\propto v^2exp(-mv^2/2kT)[/tex]
for Maxwell-Boltzmann.
 
Thank you for the reply, I shall go read more about effusion.