Average energy of atoms in the Stern–Gerlach experiment

In summary, the Stern-Gerlach experiment shows that the atoms exiting the oven have an average energy of 2kT, instead of the expected 3kT/2 for a gas. This is due to effusion, which is covered in an undergraduate kinetic theory course. The speed distribution of the atoms in the beam follows a different formula, resulting in a higher average energy than expected.
Keky
I have been reading about the Stern–Gerlach experiment and found that the atoms leaving the oven in the experiment have an average energy of 2kT, rather than an energy of 3kT/2 for a gas. I can not find a reason for this higher energy myself and would like suggestions on why this seems to be taken for granted on many reports I have read, and why it is so.

Thanks,

Char.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is because the atoms effuse out of the oven. Effusion should be covered in an undergrad kinetic theory course. The speed distribution in the beam is
[tex]\propto v^3exp(-mv^2/2kT)[/tex]
rather than the usual
[tex]\propto v^2exp(-mv^2/2kT)[/tex]
for Maxwell-Boltzmann.

Thank you for the reply, I shall go read more about effusion.

1. What is the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is a physics experiment conducted in 1922 by Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach. It is used to demonstrate the quantization of angular momentum and the spin of an electron.

2. How is the average energy of atoms measured in the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

In the Stern-Gerlach experiment, a beam of atoms is passed through a magnetic field. The atoms' spin orientation causes them to be deflected either up or down, depending on their spin state. By measuring the deflection, the average energy of the atoms can be determined.

3. What does the average energy of atoms tell us about the atoms in the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The average energy of atoms in the Stern-Gerlach experiment tells us about the atoms' spin states. The more energy an atom has, the more likely it is to have a higher spin state, and vice versa.

4. How does the average energy of atoms in the Stern-Gerlach experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment was one of the first experiments to demonstrate the quantization of angular momentum and the spin of an electron, which are fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics. The average energy of atoms in the experiment is directly linked to these quantum mechanical principles.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Stern-Gerlach experiment and its findings?

Although the Stern-Gerlach experiment was initially used to understand the behavior of atoms, its findings have had many real-world applications. These include the development of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and the use of spin-based technologies in computers and other electronic devices.