Average force when a bouncy ball collides with surface

In summary: What do the initial and final heights tell you in terms of physical quantities?Hint. Assume ##h_f =0##. How would you solve the problem then?In summary, the ball starts at height ##h_i## and bounces back up to height ##h_{\!f}##. I would use the kinematic formulae to solve for the force average.
String theory guy
Homework Statement
The statement is below.
Relevant Equations
Impulse is the time integral of force which is equal to the product of the average force with the change in time
What have mistakes/wrong assumption have I made in solving this question?
1671145246036.png

I tried to solve the problem this way
1671146034065.png

N.B. I assume that the j hat direction is up.

Attachments

• 1671145223863.png
    1671145223863.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 63
Physics news on Phys.org
First off you should put parentheses where they belong. So the starting equation should be
$$F_{\text{avg}}(t_2-t_1)=\int_{t_1}^{t_2}(N-mg)dt.$$ Missing parentheses is not a serious mistake. A more serious mistake is in the next line. Note that in the integrand ##mg## is constant, but the normal force ##N## is not and cannot be taken out of the integral, unless you meant to write ##N_{\text{avg}}## and not ##N##. Also, you need to figure out how to use the information that the ball starts at ##h_i## and bounces back up to ##h_{\!f}##. How do you think you could do that?

• Love
Likes berkeman and String theory guy
kuruman said:
First off you should put parentheses where they belong. So the starting equation should be
$$F_{\text{avg}}(t_2-t_1)=\int_{t_1}^{t_2}(N-mg)dt.$$ Missing parentheses is not a serious mistake. A more serious mistake is in the next line. Note that in the integrand ##mg## is constant, but the normal force ##N## is not and cannot be taken out of the integral, unless you meant to write ##N_{\text{avg}}## and not ##N##. Also, you need to figure out how to use the information that the ball starts at ##h_i## and bounces back up to ##h_{\!f}##. How do you think you could do that?
I would use the kinematic formulae I think. I guess yo added the parentheses since the differential time is multiped to both force functions.

How would you take -mg out of the integrand since it is not multiped to to the N @kuruman ?

String theory guy said:
How would you take -mg out of the integrand since it is not multiped to to the N @kuruman ?
It is better to start from the definition of the average force $$F_{\text{avg}}=\frac{\int_{t_1}^{t_2}(N-mg)dt}{\int_{t_1}^{t_2}dt}=\frac{\int_{t_1}^{t_2}Ndt}{\int_{t_1}^{t_2}dt}-\frac{\int_{t_1}^{t_2}mg~dt}{\int_{t_1}^{t_2}dt}=N_{\text{avg}}-mg.$$ You don't need the time interval ##T##.

• Love
Likes MatinSAR and String theory guy
kuruman said:
It is better to start from the definition of the average force $$F_{\text{avg}}=\frac{\int_{t_1}^{t_2}(N-mg)dt}{\int_{t_1}^{t_2}dt}=\frac{\int_{t_1}^{t_2}Ndt}{\int_{t_1}^{t_2}dt}-\frac{\int_{t_1}^{t_2}mg~dt}{\int_{t_1}^{t_2}dt}=N_{\text{avg}}-mg.$$ You don't need the time interval ##T##.
Oh so my working at the top actually got the same average force expression as you. Thought, somehow we got to get would of force avg @kuruman .

String theory guy said:
Oh so my working at the top actually got the same average force expression as you.
It did not. Your expression has ##N## not ##N_{\text{avg}}##. The two are not the same. You did not take an average, I did and showed you how it's done. So how will you proceed to find ##N_{\text{avg}}##?

• Love
Likes String theory guy
There is a slight ambiguity in the question. It should specify that the time average is to be over the duration of the contact, not of the whole process.
Since it starts and ends with the ball stationary, the time average over the whole process is mg. That gives a way to find the average over the contact period, other than the more obvious way.

• Love
Likes MatinSAR and String theory guy
kuruman said:
It did not. Your expression has ##N## not ##N_{\text{avg}}##. The two are not the same. You did not take an average, I did and showed you how it's done. So how will you proceed to find ##N_{\text{avg}}##?
Um well, I tried rearranging but now I need to get rid of the average force @kuruman .
1671178476575.png

String theory guy said:
Um well, I tried rearranging but now I need to get rid of the average force @kuruman .
View attachment 318937
You have not attempted to use the heights information.

• Love
Likes String theory guy
haruspex said:
You have not attempted to use the heights information.
So I think to attempt to use the heights information I could use the kinematic formulae. However, I'm not sure how to relate the initial and finial heights to the force average. That's the issue.

String theory guy said:
So I think to attempt to use the heights information I could use the kinematic formulae. However, I'm not sure how to relate the initial and finial heights to the force average. That's the issue.
It seems to me that you have missed the point entirely. You have no information about the force profile during the collision, so there is no point integrating the force at all.

What do the initial and final heights tell you in terms of physical quantities?

Likes String theory guy
Hint. Assume ##h_f =0##. How would you solve the problem then?

Likes String theory guy
String theory guy said:
I think you are forgetting about the "other half" of the Impulse\Momentum definition.

Likes String theory guy
Let me say the words that others dare not speak...
Impulse = change of momentum​

• Wow
Likes neilparker62, String theory guy, kuruman and 2 others
PeroK said:
Hint. Assume ##h_f =0##. How would you solve the problem then?
Ah. Thinking.

String theory guy said:
Ah. Thinking.
Hi @String theory guy. Since you are still working on this, and ‘tis the season of goodwill (for some), here is another hint.

Using ##h_i##, can you work out the velocity of the ball immediately before the bounce (i.e. immediately before initial contact of the ball and the surface)?

Using ##h_f##, can you work out the velocity of the ball immediately after the bounce (i.e. immediately after loss of contact between the ball and the surface)?

Can you now use this information? (if you can’t, re-read the posts).

Likes MatinSAR, neilparker62 and String theory guy
haruspex said:
There is a slight ambiguity in the question. It should specify that the time average is to be over the duration of the contact, not of the whole process.
Since it starts and ends with the ball stationary, the time average over the whole process is mg. That gives a way to find the average over the contact period, other than the more obvious way.
It did say that the ball is in contact with the table for time T and T is supposed to be in the expression you come up with. As indicated by others we just need to calculate ##\frac {\Delta p}{\Delta t} ## with the denominator being T.

Likes String theory guy
neilparker62 said:
and T is supposed to be in the expression you come up with.
No, T is one of a long list allowed to be in the expression.

Likes String theory guy, MatinSAR and neilparker62
It was anyway important to make the point you made about working with time average during contact time.

Likes String theory guy and SammyS
Can someone write their solution to this problem?

String theory guy said:
Can someone write their solution to this problem?
Ideally "someone" should be yourself! I think there are enough hints above for you to write an expression for the change in momentum ##\Delta p##. Then simply divide by contact time ##\Delta t##.

Likes String theory guy and nasu
neilparker62 said:
It did say that the ball is in contact with the table for time T and T is supposed to be in the expression you come up with. As indicated by others we just need to calculate ##\frac {\Delta p}{\Delta t} ## with the denominator being T.
Thanks you
1674185496088.png

1674185522323.png

1674185606450.png

Attachments

• 1674185265186.png
    1674185265186.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 55
haruspex said:
Ok, if I guess correctly how you are defining ##v_f, v_i##. But those are not allowed in the answer. So how to get rid of them?
Thanks, I see how they got their result now.

Likes neilparker62

1. What is the definition of average force when a bouncy ball collides with a surface?

The average force when a bouncy ball collides with a surface is the measure of the force exerted on the surface by the ball during the collision. It takes into account the initial velocity of the ball, the mass of the ball, and the amount of time the ball is in contact with the surface.

2. How is the average force calculated in a collision between a bouncy ball and a surface?

The average force can be calculated by dividing the change in momentum of the ball by the time it takes for the collision to occur. This can be represented by the equation F = Δp/Δt, where F is the average force, Δp is the change in momentum, and Δt is the time of the collision.

3. How does the surface affect the average force in a collision with a bouncy ball?

The surface can have a significant impact on the average force in a collision with a bouncy ball. A softer surface, such as a foam mat, will absorb more of the ball's energy, resulting in a lower average force. A harder surface, like concrete, will reflect more of the ball's energy, resulting in a higher average force.

4. Can the average force in a collision with a bouncy ball be greater than the force of gravity?

Yes, the average force in a collision with a bouncy ball can be greater than the force of gravity. This is because the force of gravity only acts on the ball when it is in contact with the surface, whereas the average force takes into account the entire collision and can be significantly higher.

5. How does the speed of the ball affect the average force in a collision with a surface?

The speed of the ball can have a direct impact on the average force in a collision with a surface. A higher speed means the ball has more kinetic energy, which will be transferred to the surface upon impact. This can result in a higher average force compared to a collision at a lower speed.