1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average time per week early-career academics in the US work?

1. Jan 20, 2016 #1
    Hello.

I've got two questions:

1) In the U.S., what's the average time per week that a graduate student doing a PhD in astronomy work?

2) In the U.S., what's the average time per week that a postdoctoral researcher in astronomy work?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2016 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know about astronomy in particular, but if it's similar to other disciplines depending on what's going on the answer will range from a lot, to, we ran out of coffee a lot.

4. Jan 25, 2016 #3
    Paraphrasing J P Morgan on a question posed to him by a fellow banker on the cost of a yacht. If you have to ask you probably cannot afford it.

For your question if you have to ask you probably should not consider Astronomy or any science for that matter. I don't know why it would be different in the US compared to anywhere else. Your post begs the question: Why is it of concern? So how much? As much as necessary.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook