Aviation Enthusiast's Tale of Ruining a Flight Sim

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 3K views
Field physics
Messages
23
Reaction score
7
TL;DR
Do you guys and gals ruin movies, tv shows, games, etc with friends and family?
So my amazing wife ( a bio-chemist and gamer) was playing a flight sim. So, I love aerodynamics, aerospace engineering, and am a serious aviation enthusiast. I see that she is flying a Boeing 747 Freighter ( a heavy large 4 engine cargo plane) and she does a vertical takeoff. So mission was to take a fully loaded 747 across the Atlantic... I may or may not have mentioned that a fully loaded 747 would go into a aerodynamic stall trying to vertically climb... Then managed to go aviation nerd and I was calculating the max Angle of attack with a 747 max weight and no other factors like wind (I was thinking out loud as I was calculating) then before I got the answer she went to another room to peacefully fly her 747 lol. Anyone else got a experience to share about ruining a movie, TV show, game, etc and if so feel free to go full detail like I did.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Field physics said:
I see that she is flying a Boeing 747 Freighter ( a heavy large 4 engine cargo plane) and she does a vertical takeoff.
She was enjoying the irreality of a game, not flying a 747.
Those who say something is impossible, should not interrupt those who are doing it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters, Lnewqban, jim mcnamara and 4 others
Welcome!

If you could do it, the aerodynamics of that game may not be very accurate... or that plane enjoyed a huge taking off speed.

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Field physics
Lnewqban said:
Welcome!

If you could do it, the aerodynamics of that game may not be very accurate... or that plane enjoyed a huge taking off speed.


I higher speed may help but really during demonstrations planes aren't typical max weight. Thanks for your input!