Aviation Enthusiast's Tale of Ruining a Flight Sim

In summary, the conversation was about a bio-chemist and gamer wife playing a flight sim and doing a vertical takeoff with a Boeing 747 Freighter. The husband, an aviation enthusiast, mentioned that a fully loaded 747 would experience an aerodynamic stall in such a scenario. He then began calculating the maximum angle of attack with a 747 at maximum weight, but his wife went to another room before he could get the answer. The conversation then turned to discussing the accuracy of the game's aerodynamics and the possibility of a higher takeoff speed.
Field physics
TL;DR Summary
Do you guys and gals ruin movies, tv shows, games, etc with friends and family?
So my amazing wife ( a bio-chemist and gamer) was playing a flight sim. So, I love aerodynamics, aerospace engineering, and am a serious aviation enthusiast. I see that she is flying a Boeing 747 Freighter ( a heavy large 4 engine cargo plane) and she does a vertical takeoff. So mission was to take a fully loaded 747 across the Atlantic... I may or may not have mentioned that a fully loaded 747 would go into a aerodynamic stall trying to vertically climb... Then managed to go aviation nerd and I was calculating the max Angle of attack with a 747 max weight and no other factors like wind (I was thinking out loud as I was calculating) then before I got the answer she went to another room to peacefully fly her 747 lol. Anyone else got a experience to share about ruining a movie, TV show, game, etc and if so feel free to go full detail like I did.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Field physics said:
I see that she is flying a Boeing 747 Freighter ( a heavy large 4 engine cargo plane) and she does a vertical takeoff.
She was enjoying the irreality of a game, not flying a 747.
Those who say something is impossible, should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Likes russ_watters, Lnewqban, jim mcnamara and 4 others
Welcome!

If you could do it, the aerodynamics of that game may not be very accurate... or that plane enjoyed a huge taking off speed.

Likes Field physics
Lnewqban said:
Welcome!

If you could do it, the aerodynamics of that game may not be very accurate... or that plane enjoyed a huge taking off speed.

I higher speed may help but really during demonstrations planes aren't typical max weight. Thanks for your input!

1. What is an "Aviation Enthusiast's Tale of Ruining a Flight Sim"?

An "Aviation Enthusiast's Tale of Ruining a Flight Sim" is a story or account of someone who has caused damage or disruption to a flight simulation game or program. This can be intentional or unintentional and can range from minor glitches to complete crashes of the simulation.

2. How common is it for flight sims to be ruined by aviation enthusiasts?

The frequency of flight sims being ruined by aviation enthusiasts is difficult to determine as it largely depends on the individual and their level of knowledge and experience with flight simulation. However, with the increasing popularity of flight simulation and accessibility of tools and resources, it is not uncommon for incidents to occur.

3. What are some common ways an aviation enthusiast can ruin a flight sim?

Some common ways an aviation enthusiast can ruin a flight sim include using incorrect or outdated software or settings, making unauthorized modifications to the game, or attempting to perform advanced maneuvers without proper knowledge or training.

4. Can ruining a flight sim have any real-world consequences?

In most cases, ruining a flight sim will only affect the game itself and not have any real-world consequences. However, if the game is being used for training or simulation purposes, it could potentially impact the accuracy and effectiveness of the training.

5. How can aviation enthusiasts prevent themselves from ruining a flight sim?

To prevent ruining a flight sim, aviation enthusiasts should ensure they are using the correct software and settings, avoid making unauthorized modifications, and seek proper training and knowledge before attempting advanced maneuvers. It is also important to regularly update the game and follow any instructions or guidelines provided by the game developers.