Axion thrust by enhanced scattering

In summary, the article discusses the possible interaction between photons and axions, and suggests that under certain conditions, a "resonant radiation pressure" can cause a large effective scattering cross section for neutral particles.
Ricvil
Axions in theory are uncharged, spin 0, very light particles, and have a very small scattering cross section when interacting with photons.
But there is a very interesting article about a strong enhanced scattering of neutral particles. "Resonant radiation pressure on neutral particles in a waveguide"- arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0103017
The article above talks about a ressonant backscattering of neutral particles, where under right conditions of frequency, a "arbitrarily small" polarizable scatter in a waveguide can have a huge effective scattering cross section.
Well, the axion has the electrodynamic property of produce electromagnectic polarization due to axion-photon mixing, so axion could be accelerated by resonant geometrical scattering inside waveguides under critical frequency of unimodal propagation, generating a axion thrust?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this paper is talking about particles in the Rayleigh regime...
I looked for this, and eg here http://patarnott.com/pdf/Moosmuller2009JAWMA.pdf it gives some explanation on what Rayleigh particles are...I don't think this can be generalized to axions? I mean in the parameter [itex]x= \frac{2 \pi r}{\lambda} \ll 1[/itex], what would [itex]2 \pi r[/itex] stand for? the axion doesn't have a circumference.
Why would you accelerate axions? if you apply an external electromagnetic field, the axion will generally produce a photon (the reverse? Primakoff process), of course dependent on the polarization of your field (due to the coupling to F Ftilde). So I don't think you could accelerate it, rather than change it.

The "neutral particles" in the paper are things like dust particles. Not with an overall charge, but still made out of electrons and nuclei, which obviously show a significant interaction with photons.
Axions, if they exist at all, are so rare and couple so weakly to matter or light that there is nothing you could accelerate.

The Primakoff process ( in this context) models the resulting interaction between photon and axion fields under a strong and "static/stationary" background electromagnetic field, producing a aproximate linear model of axion photon electrodynamic.
Basicaly, the Primakoff process models a very paticular situation of a "photon axion oscillation"
Rayleigh scattering is another example of a very particular situation of the most general electromagnectic scattering process.
The article about ressonante scattering is interesting because it shows a process where the transmission of electromagnectic waves (photons with momentum) inside a waveguide can be totaly reflected (inversion of all photons momentuns) by a "arbitrarily small polarizable scatter".
Changes on momentum of photons must be compensated by the change of mometum of the scatter(force on the scatter).
If the scatter is free to move then it will accelerate.
The question:
Is the axion a effective "small polarizable scatter"?

Last edited:
What is the probability of a photon to scatter on the axion? or how could you explain this interaction: [itex]a \gamma \rightarrow a \gamma[/itex]??

The process are between two photons and one axion in quantum terminology.
I prefer look this process by axion electrodynamic field equations point of view, where the scattering process is more friendly.
For example, i have found this interesting article associating axion photon oscillation with a index of refraction point of view.
http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.0410
In this article, photon and axions fields are scattered by a strong inhomogeneous magnectic field.
The axion mass was not taked in consideration.
Perhaps the effect of ressonant backscattering in waveguide can be triggered by a strong inhomogeneous magnectic field applied on a section of the waveguide.

Another interesting article from condensate matter axion electrodynamic
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1503.00235
The axion field causes a "cross-polarization"
The article presents the expressions for the scattering caused by spheres of "topological isolators"

Sorry, is "Topological insulators".

This thread is becoming a collection of buzzwords with unclear relations and wild speculations. Not something we like to see here.
If you have some reference discussing the precise effect you are asking about, please send me a message and I'll open the thread again. Until then it remains closed.

1. What is axion thrust by enhanced scattering?

Axion thrust by enhanced scattering is a potential propulsion mechanism for space travel that utilizes the interaction between axion particles and matter to produce thrust. Axions are hypothetical particles that could potentially explain the existence of dark matter in the universe.

2. How does axion thrust by enhanced scattering work?

In this concept, a spacecraft would be equipped with a device that generates a strong electric field, causing axions to scatter off the atoms in the surrounding space. This scattering process creates a reaction force, which can be harnessed for propulsion.

3. What are the potential benefits of axion thrust by enhanced scattering?

One of the main advantages of this propulsion method is that it doesn't require any fuel. It also has the potential to reach higher velocities than traditional chemical rockets, making it a promising technology for long-distance space travel.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to using axion thrust by enhanced scattering?

One major challenge is that axions are still a theoretical concept and have not been observed or detected by scientists. This means that the technology for utilizing axion thrust is still in its early stages of development and further research is needed.

5. What are some current research efforts in axion thrust by enhanced scattering?

There are several ongoing projects and experiments focused on developing and testing axion thrust technology. One notable example is the NASA-sponsored Evolved Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (eLISA) project, which aims to use axion thrust for spacecraft propulsion in the future.