Axisymmetric vs cyclic symmetry boundary conditions

In summary, axisymmetric boundary conditions assume symmetry about an axis while cyclic symmetry boundary conditions assume symmetry about multiple axes. Axisymmetric conditions are used for rotational symmetric structures, while cyclic symmetry conditions are used for structures with repeating units. To apply these conditions, the model must be set up in either a 2D axisymmetric plane or a 3D space with repeating units defined. Limitations and assumptions of these conditions include perfect symmetry and identical repeating units. These conditions can greatly reduce computational time, but may affect accuracy if the assumptions are not met.
kajalschopra
Hi,

Can anyone explain the difference between axisymmetric and cyclic symmetry boundary conditions? Isn't it the same i.e. bith cyclic symmetry and axisymmetric?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone pleaseeeeee

1. What is the difference between axisymmetric and cyclic symmetry boundary conditions?

Axisymmetric boundary conditions assume that the geometry and loading of a structure are symmetric about an axis, while cyclic symmetry boundary conditions assume that the geometry and loading are symmetric about multiple axes.

2. When should I use axisymmetric vs cyclic symmetry boundary conditions?

Axisymmetric boundary conditions are typically used for structures with rotational symmetry, such as cylinders or spheres. Cyclic symmetry boundary conditions are used for structures with multiple repeating units, such as turbine blades or fan blades.

3. How do I apply axisymmetric vs cyclic symmetry boundary conditions in my simulation?

To apply axisymmetric boundary conditions, the model must be set up in a 2D axisymmetric plane. Cyclic symmetry boundary conditions require the model to be set up in a 3D space with the repeating units defined.

4. Are there any limitations or assumptions with axisymmetric vs cyclic symmetry boundary conditions?

Axisymmetric boundary conditions assume that the structure is perfectly symmetric, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Cyclic symmetry boundary conditions assume that the repeating units are identical, which may not always be accurate for complex structures.

5. How do axisymmetric vs cyclic symmetry boundary conditions affect the accuracy of my simulation results?

Axisymmetric boundary conditions can greatly reduce the computational time and resources needed for a simulation, but they may not accurately capture the effects of non-symmetric loading or geometry. Cyclic symmetry boundary conditions can also reduce computational time, but the accuracy may be affected if the repeating units are not truly identical.