1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Azimuthally Symmetric Potential for a Spherical Conductor

1. Dec 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    BSWCL.jpg

2. Relevant equations/3. The attempt at a solution
    I am trying to solve problem 2-13 from my textbook "Principles of Electrodynamics" (see image below).

I believe that I should be solving the potential as

[tex]
    \varphi(r,\theta) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (A_n r^n + \frac{B_n}{r^{n+1}})P_n(\cos\theta),
    [/tex]

where [tex]A_n[/tex] and [tex]B_n[/tex] are determined by the boundary condition of the conductor. For [tex]r < R[/tex] we should have that [tex]B_n = 0[/tex] to make sure the potential is finite and for [tex]r > R[/tex] we should have that [tex]A_n = 0[/tex] to ensure that the potential goes to 0 at infinity. That being said, at [tex]r=R[/tex], we can apply the boundary conditions such that we

[tex]A_n^{in} = \frac{2n+1}{2a^n}\int_{-1}^{1}\varphi(R,\theta)P_n(\cos\theta)d\cos\theta[/tex]

and

[tex]B_n^{out} = \frac{2n+1}{2}a^{n+1}\int_{-1}^{1}\varphi(R,\theta)P_n(\cos\theta)d\cos\theta[/tex].

Now, my problem comes when I want to solve these two integrals because it appears to me that if I apply the boundary condition, namely that

[tex]
    \varphi = 0 \;\;\;\; \frac{3}{2} < \cos\theta < 1\\
    \varphi = \varphi_0 \;\;\;\; \frac{-\sqrt{3}}{2} < \cos\theta < \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\\
    \varphi = 0 \;\;\;\; -1 < \cos\theta < -\frac{3}{2}
    [/tex]

then the above two integrals reduce to

[tex]A_n^{in} = \frac{2n+1}{2a^n}\int_{-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}^{\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}\varphi_0P_n(\cos\theta)d\cos\theta[/tex]

and

[tex]B_n^{out} = \frac{2n+1}{2}a^{n+1}\int_{-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}^{\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}\varphi_0P_n(\cos\theta)d\cos\theta[/tex]

respectively.

Now, since P_n are odd functions for odd n, [tex]A_n^{in}[/tex] and [tex]B_n^{out}[/tex] appear to be 0 for all of the odd values of n. However, the problem arises now when I am trying to evaluate these integrals in general for even values of n, in this case the results seem intractable because I am trying to integrate the Legendre Polynomials over a symmetric interval where the limits are not -1 and 1.

From my understanding, this problem should be as straightforward as applying the boundary conditions as I have done to solve for the potential, is there something that I am overlooking?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that cos(60o) ≠ √3/2.

You say the integrals appear to be intractable. Did you write out the integrands explicitly for n = 0 and n = 2?

4. Dec 6, 2015 #3
    Whoops, limits should be +-1/2. I meant that
    the general solutions to the integrals seem intractable, but I turns out that you only need
    the 0 and 2 terms to answer all of the parts of the problem, so then this is actually very easy.

5. Dec 6, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Good!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted