Azimuthally Symmetric Potential for a Spherical Conductor

In summary, the individual steps to solving problem 2-13 from "Principles of Electrodynamics" involve using the potential function and applying boundary conditions to determine A_n and B_n, which in turn are used to evaluate integrals for even values of n. However, upon further examination, it is found that only the 0 and 2 terms are needed to solve the problem and the integrals are much simpler than initially thought.
Loonuh

Homework Statement

BSWCL.jpg

Homework Equations

/

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am trying to solve problem 2-13 from my textbook "Principles of Electrodynamics" (see image below).

I believe that I should be solving the potential as

[tex]
\varphi(r,\theta) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (A_n r^n + \frac{B_n}{r^{n+1}})P_n(\cos\theta),
[/tex]

where [tex]A_n[/tex] and [tex]B_n[/tex] are determined by the boundary condition of the conductor. For [tex]r < R[/tex] we should have that [tex]B_n = 0[/tex] to make sure the potential is finite and for [tex]r > R[/tex] we should have that [tex]A_n = 0[/tex] to ensure that the potential goes to 0 at infinity. That being said, at [tex]r=R[/tex], we can apply the boundary conditions such that we

[tex]A_n^{in} = \frac{2n+1}{2a^n}\int_{-1}^{1}\varphi(R,\theta)P_n(\cos\theta)d\cos\theta[/tex]

and

[tex]B_n^{out} = \frac{2n+1}{2}a^{n+1}\int_{-1}^{1}\varphi(R,\theta)P_n(\cos\theta)d\cos\theta[/tex].

Now, my problem comes when I want to solve these two integrals because it appears to me that if I apply the boundary condition, namely that

[tex]
\varphi = 0 \;\;\;\; \frac{3}{2} < \cos\theta < 1\\
\varphi = \varphi_0 \;\;\;\; \frac{-\sqrt{3}}{2} < \cos\theta < \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\\
\varphi = 0 \;\;\;\; -1 < \cos\theta < -\frac{3}{2}
[/tex]

then the above two integrals reduce to

[tex]A_n^{in} = \frac{2n+1}{2a^n}\int_{-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}^{\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}\varphi_0P_n(\cos\theta)d\cos\theta[/tex]

and

[tex]B_n^{out} = \frac{2n+1}{2}a^{n+1}\int_{-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}^{\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}\varphi_0P_n(\cos\theta)d\cos\theta[/tex]

respectively.

Now, since P_n are odd functions for odd n, [tex]A_n^{in}[/tex] and [tex]B_n^{out}[/tex] appear to be 0 for all of the odd values of n. However, the problem arises now when I am trying to evaluate these integrals in general for even values of n, in this case the results seem intractable because I am trying to integrate the Legendre Polynomials over a symmetric interval where the limits are not -1 and 1.

From my understanding, this problem should be as straightforward as applying the boundary conditions as I have done to solve for the potential, is there something that I am overlooking?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that cos(60o) ≠ √3/2.

You say the integrals appear to be intractable. Did you write out the integrands explicitly for n = 0 and n = 2?

Whoops, limits should be +-1/2. I meant that
the general solutions to the integrals seem intractable, but I turns out that you only need
the 0 and 2 terms to answer all of the parts of the problem, so then this is actually very easy.

OK. Good!

1. What is an azimuthally symmetric potential?

An azimuthally symmetric potential is a type of potential energy that is symmetric around a central axis. This means that the potential energy at any point on the axis is the same, and the potential energy varies only with the distance from the axis.

2. Why is an azimuthally symmetric potential important for a spherical conductor?

For a spherical conductor, the potential energy is dependent on the distance from the center of the sphere. An azimuthally symmetric potential allows for a simpler and more accurate mathematical representation of the potential energy for a spherical conductor.

3. How is an azimuthally symmetric potential calculated for a spherical conductor?

An azimuthally symmetric potential for a spherical conductor can be calculated using the Laplace equation, which takes into account the charge distribution and boundary conditions of the conductor. The potential can also be calculated using numerical methods such as the finite element method.

4. What is the significance of an azimuthally symmetric potential for practical applications?

An azimuthally symmetric potential for a spherical conductor is important in practical applications such as electrostatics and electronics. It allows for a more accurate calculation of the potential energy and can be used to understand and predict the behavior of charged particles in these systems.

5. Can an azimuthally symmetric potential be applied to non-spherical conductors?

While an azimuthally symmetric potential is most commonly used for spherical conductors, it can also be applied to non-spherical conductors as long as they have some degree of symmetry. However, the calculations may become more complex for non-spherical shapes.