1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B.S. Applied Math to Pure Math Grad?

1. Jul 30, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I've been pursuing a second bachelor's degree part-time for a while now at a Group III school. I just found out, somewhat unexpectedly, that I might be able to transfer to Georgia Tech (a Group I school) with relative ease to complete my degree as a full-time student.

GT is, without a doubt, a wonderful school. My concern is the fact that GT doesn't actually offer a bachelor's degree in "pure" math; only Applied or Discrete. I've compared GT's Applied Math curriculum (found http://www.catalog.gatech.edu/colleges/cos/math/ugrad/math/bsmath.php [Broken]) to a couple of pure math programs at other schools and although there are some differences, they don't seem to be incredibly dramatic.

Still, I'm concerned that if I do transfer to GT and complete the BS in Applied Math that I might be making things more difficult for myself down the line when I apply to Pure Math grad programs.

Any thoughts or advice?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2012 #2
    I did my BS in Applied Math at GT, and I'm about to start a pure math PhD. You're fine. They offer all of the standard pure math classes that any school has. You just have to take some extra computer science and CS-related math classes.

4. Aug 6, 2012 #3
    Thanks very much. Your reply, along with a good bit of time reading the course descriptions on the GT site, have really influenced my decision.

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook