Backstory on the SONY Rootkit Fiasco of 2005

  • Thread starter Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 3K views
Messages
15,819
Reaction score
10,711
Dave's Garage gets into the infamous SONY Rootkit fiasco of 2005 where SONY tried to stem music piracy by installing rootkits on all windows machines who played SONY music disks exposing those machones to other vulnerabilities due to mistakes in the code:



and from wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and DrClaude
Physics news on Phys.org
I think Sony still owes me a free CD. I did get the $7.50 I think.
 
What do you think of Mark Russinovich's Rootkit Revealer? Do you think Norton's basic would provide similar ? I searched on YouTube only to get a suspicious link asking me to click.
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
What do you think of Mark Russinovich's Rootkit Revealer?
I think it worked fine 15 years ago, but it dosn't work on any current version of Windows.

WWGD said:
Do you think Norton's basic would provide similar ?
I think Norton, McAfee and other commercial protection software have become as obnoxious as some of the malware they are supposed to protect against. You don't need them...

WWGD said:
I searched on YouTube only to get a suspicious link asking me to click.
...unless you are the kind of person who clicks on suspicious links.

Windows Defender and the knowledge of how to change permissions for pop-ups in whatever browser(s) you use are all you should need. If you don't trust yourself when browsing then install VirtualBox or VMWare and browse in a virtual machine.
 
pbuk said:
I think it worked fine 15 years ago, but it dosn't work on any current version of Windows.


I think Norton, McAfee and other commercial protection software have become as obnoxious as some of the malware they are supposed to protect against. You don't need them...


...unless you are the kind of person who clicks on suspicious links.

Windows Defender and the knowledge of how to change permissions for pop-ups in whatever browser(s) you use are all you should need. If you don't trust yourself when browsing then install VirtualBox or VMWare and browse in a virtual machine.
I obviously didn't click on the link. Not quite that gullible.
Edit: I bet security patches and periodic updates to Windows help too.
 
Last edited: