Balancing equation of potassium dichromate

In summary, to balance the equation for potassium dichromate, you should first write out the unbalanced equation and count the number of atoms for each element on both sides. Then, balance the elements that appear in only one compound and use water and hydrogen ions to balance oxygen and hydrogen atoms. The products of the reaction between potassium dichromate and another substance will vary, but may include chromium (III) oxide and a product dependent on the other reactant. Balancing equations ensures the law of conservation of mass is represented accurately. Fractions cannot be used in balancing equations, but you can multiply the equation to convert them to whole numbers. Rules for balancing equations include balancing one element at a time, not changing subscripts, and checking work
calcula
Homework Statement [/b]

I need to balance the following redox equation
K2Cr2O7 + H2C2O4 [2H2O] ----> K[Cr(C2O4)2(H2O)2]2H2O + CO2 + H2O

. The attempt at a solution[/b]
so far I have this but I am stuck

14H30{+} + Cr2O7{2-} + 3C2O4{2-} --> 2Cr{3+} + 21H2O + 6CO2

Physics news on Phys.org
What method are you expected to use? Oxidation numbers or half reactions?

If the latter, try to split it into reduction and oxidation half reactions.

1. How do I balance the equation for potassium dichromate?

The first step in balancing the equation for potassium dichromate is to write out the unbalanced equation, with the reactants on the left side and the products on the right side. Then, count the number of atoms for each element on both sides of the equation. Next, start by balancing the elements that appear in only one compound on each side of the equation. In this case, that would be potassium and chromium. Finally, balance the oxygen and hydrogen atoms using water and hydrogen ions (H+) as needed. Make sure to keep track of the number of each element on both sides of the equation as you make changes.

2. What are the products of the reaction between potassium dichromate and another substance?

The products of the reaction between potassium dichromate and another substance will depend on the specific reaction taking place. Generally, one of the products will be chromium (III) oxide (Cr2O3), while the other product will depend on the other reactant involved in the reaction. For example, if potassium dichromate reacts with sulfuric acid (H2SO4), the products would be potassium sulfate (K2SO4) and water (H2O).

3. What is the purpose of balancing equations?

The purpose of balancing equations is to ensure that the same number of each type of atom appears on both sides of the equation, representing the law of conservation of mass. In a balanced equation, the number of atoms of each element in the reactants will be equal to the number of atoms of that element in the products. This allows us to accurately represent the reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction.

4. Can I balance the equation for potassium dichromate using fractions?

No, it is not possible to balance equations using fractions. All coefficients (numbers in front of the compounds) in a balanced equation must be whole numbers. If you end up with a fraction while balancing an equation, you can multiply the entire equation by a number to get rid of the fraction and convert it to a whole number.

5. Are there any rules I need to follow when balancing equations?

Yes, there are a few rules you should follow when balancing equations. First, you must balance one element at a time, starting with the elements that appear in only one compound on each side of the equation. Also, you cannot change the subscripts of elements in compounds when balancing equations. Finally, make sure to check your work by counting the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation after balancing.