1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write down the reactions in which ClO2 is created

Tags:
  1. May 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write down the reactions in which ClO2 is created from KClO3 and H2SO4
    2. Relevant equations
    KClO3 + H2C2O4 + H2SO4 = ClO2 + CO2 + K2SO4 + H2O

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've attempted and have written down several reacions, or. attempted to, but the part that I find problematic is, that the problem states, that you should write down reactions, as in plural, and that confuses me greatly, so I was hoping that someone might have a solution or me
    KClO3 + H2C2O4 + H2SO4 = ClO2 + CO2 + K2SO4 + H2O
    or maybe
    H2C2O4 + 2 KClO3 = K2CO3 + CO2 + 2 ClO2 + H2O
    or
    H2SO4 + KClO3 --> K2SO4 + ClO2 + H2O

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Strange question and I have no idea what it really asks for.

You need some redox process here, as chlorine in ClO2 and KClO3 have different oxidation states. You can either reduce KClO3 (in which case it is not "just KClO3 and H2SO4", as you need an additional reducing agent - like oxalic acid), or you can look for disproportionation (that is, KClO3 reacts with itself producing both ClO2 and some product with more oxidized chlorine - say, potassium perchlorate). No idea if the latter reaction is at all possible.

4. May 4, 2015 #3
    Maybe they just want you to balance it? Sometimes the answers that seem most difficult are just from poor instruction. It wouldn't hurt to anyways.

3 KCLO3 + 3 H2SO4 = 3 KHSO4 + HCLO4 + 2 CLO2 + H2O

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted