Balloon Analogy - 3D universe on a 2D plane

In summary, the balloon analogy is a good way to understand how a 2D universe can depict a 3D universe. However, the surface of the balloon is only a 2D representation of the 3D universe. Stars at multiple planes can also be depicted on a 2D surface, but this is more difficult because the stars need to be placed in specific coordinates.
Souhardya Nandi
This has been a real famous analogy and I understand it, except the fact that the balloon surface is a 2D structure. How is it possible to depict a 3D universe on a 2D plane ? What happens when we work with stars at multiple planes ?

Space news on Phys.org
Souhardya Nandi said:
This has been a real famous analogy and I understand it, except the fact that the balloon surface is a 2D structure. How is it possible to depict a 3D universe on a 2D plane ? What happens when we work with stars at multiple planes ?

There are two things you have to imagine in order to understand the balloon analogy. These are not necessarily easy to grasp, depending on how well you can think abstractly and mathematically:

1) You have to imagine that the surface of the balloon is all there is. A real 2D balloon surface, of course, has an inside and an outside. But, imagine that the inside and outside simply do not exist and that only the surface exists.

2) You have to imagine an additional physical dimension - in this case the 3D surface of a 4D balloon. In this case, as above, the 3D "surface" is all there is: again the space you may imagine inside and outside the 3D surface simply does not exist.

Note that all the models you have seen that use 2D shapes for the universe do so because this is easier to draw. Not because the universe is really 2D! (Although, recently we had someone on here who would not accept this and insisted that all the 2D models of the universe were that way because the universe really is 2D! That was a puzzle that he never solved.)

Likes Souhardya Nandi
Souhardya Nandi said:
I recommend the link in my signature

Likes Comeback City, ISamson and PeroK
phinds said:
I recommend the link in my signature

Having just read it, I recommend it too!

Likes phinds
PeroK said:
As a beginner here, I don't really know how to access the signature of someone. Can you please guide me ?

Souhardya Nandi said:
As a beginner here, I don't really know how to access the signature of someone. Can you please guide me ?
You click on the link in the signature

PeroK said:
I agree, read it @Souhardya Nandi

@ Phinds Evidentally I need to replace the hyperlink to your balloon analogy on my web page lol

Mordred said:
@ Phinds Evidentally I need to replace the hyperlink to your balloon analogy on my web page lol
You mean because I move the body to the Insights article?

lol yeah several of your other links I already have on my page. I always found your balloon analogy coverage well done. I've seen it have good success with numerous posters over the years.

I also usually combine it with Bapowell's article the combo seems to work well

Likes phinds

1. What is the balloon analogy for explaining the 3D universe on a 2D plane?

The balloon analogy is a popular way to visualize the concept of a 3D universe existing on a 2D plane. Imagine that the surface of a balloon represents the 2D plane and the air inside the balloon represents the 3D universe. As the balloon expands, the surface area increases, but the overall shape of the balloon remains 2D. This reflects the idea that the universe is expanding in all directions, but it is still confined to a 2D plane.

2. How does the balloon analogy relate to the concept of curved space-time?

The balloon analogy can also be used to explain the concept of curved space-time. Just like how the surface of a balloon is curved, the fabric of space-time can also be curved by the presence of massive objects like planets or stars. This curvature affects the motion of objects, just like how a marble would roll in a curved path on the surface of a balloon.

3. Is the balloon analogy an accurate representation of the universe?

While the balloon analogy can help us visualize the concept of a 3D universe on a 2D plane, it is important to note that it is not a perfect representation. The universe is much more complex and dynamic than a simple expanding balloon, and it is constantly evolving in ways that we are still trying to understand.

4. Can the balloon analogy be applied to other dimensions?

Yes, the balloon analogy can be applied to other dimensions as well. For example, in a 4D universe, we can imagine a 3D balloon expanding in a 4th dimension that we cannot perceive. This concept can be extended to higher dimensions as well, helping us visualize the complex nature of our universe.

5. How does the balloon analogy relate to the concept of parallel universes?

The balloon analogy can also be used to explain the concept of parallel universes. Just like how the surface of a balloon can have multiple points that are not connected but still exist on the same 2D plane, parallel universes can exist alongside our own universe on a higher-dimensional plane. This concept helps us understand the possibility of multiple universes with their own unique laws of physics.