Barney snaps under pressure of Obama victory

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the first dog bit a reporter outside the White House and the markets are still declining.
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, so I have to state up front I prefer cats over dogs (although I do live with two big dogs), but that Barney looks like an unpleasant little brute.

Ha! I forgot that I'd seen this on the news last night... so I was thinking before I opened and read your quote "Smith Barney"? :rofl:

Can't a presidential decision (esp. an Obama victory) stabilize the markets? Yesterday the Dow was still decreasing... but it seems today it is rising again. Not watching this because I have any major investments... I just like some random looking at plots and random calculating. :smile:

physics girl phd said:
Ha! I forgot that I'd seen this on the news last night... so I was thinking before I opened and read your quote "Smith Barney"? :rofl:

Can't a presidential decision (esp. an Obama victory) stabilize the markets?

This is far too big for a few words to end the crisis. The free market failed and on one really knows if or how the decline can be halted. Everyone hopes that the actions take thus far will get credit moving again, which was the real problem. And we have a pretty good idea why the great depression was so bad, which is why quick action was taken to avoid a similar disaster.

The jobs report is due out today and everyone knows it will be bad.

I would never approach a dog the way that reporter did. I present the back of my hand near to the dog and slowly bring it close so it can smell the hand for a moment and get used to it or reject the offer. I never offer twice.

If someone stuck their fingers in my face like that, I would of bite them too.

i thought this was going to be about Barney Frank

I thought it was going to be about Barney the Dinosaur.

Math Is Hard said:
I thought it was going to be about Barney the Dinosaur.

This was also one of my first thoughts... but I think he snapped long ago. :rofl:

1. What is the context of "Barney snaps under pressure of Obama victory"?

The phrase refers to the popular children's show character, Barney the Dinosaur, experiencing a mental breakdown or "snapping" due to the stress of Barack Obama's election victory in 2008.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support this claim?

No, this is purely a fictional scenario and there is no scientific evidence to suggest that a fictional character could experience a mental breakdown.

3. What are the potential effects of stress on a person's mental health?

Stress can have various effects on a person's mental health, including increased anxiety, depression, mood swings, difficulty concentrating, and even physical symptoms like headaches or muscle tension.

4. How does stress affect the brain?

Stress triggers the release of cortisol, a hormone that can have damaging effects on the brain if levels remain elevated for prolonged periods of time. It can also lead to changes in brain structure and function, impacting memory, decision-making, and emotional regulation.

5. What are some healthy ways to cope with stress?

Healthy coping mechanisms for stress include exercise, relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation, seeking support from friends and family, and engaging in enjoyable activities. Seeking professional help from a therapist or counselor can also be beneficial in managing stress.