Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bases, Invertibility and Injectivity Query

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    Hi

There are two things that are confusing me a bit, and was wondering if anyone could explain them.

Firstly, if we let V1,V2,...,Vn be vectors in some field F^n and let P = {V1,V2,....,Vn},
    then the following are equivalent:

(i) {V1,V2,....,Vn} is a basis for F^n ;
    (ii) P is invertible.

Secondly, let T be a linear map. Then if T is invertible, then it is injective.

Thanks for the hep in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "P is invertible".
    As I see it, P is just a set (with n vectors as its elements). What does it mean for a set to be invertible? Or is there some definition / notation that is not generally used here?

For the second one I can help you: to show that T is injective, you should have that whenever T(x) = T(y) (for arbitrary x and y in the domain), then x = y. This is almost trivial to prove: apply the inverse of T to both sides!

4. Mar 24, 2009 #3
    I think Ad123q means that P is the matrix whose column vectors V1, V2, etc.

If P is invertible then the V1, V2, etc must be linearly independent. Conversely, it is also true that if the V1, V2, etc are linearly independent, then the matrix P must be invertible.

To get a feel for this, suppose two columns of a matrix were linearly dependent. (Say the ith and jth.) Then that would mean that two linearly independent vectors would be mapped by P onto the same line. (Specifically, the ith and jth standard basis vectors.) Speaking loosely, this destroys information about the vectors being multiplied by P, so you can't invert P.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook