Basic Mathematical Induction w/ n In the Exponent

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with a mathematical induction problem and seeking help understanding how to manipulate exponential terms with fractions. They eventually figure out the correct expression and how to simplify it, thanks to the help of others.
DDNow

Homework Statement

All I am trying to do is the basic mathematical induction routine: n=1, n=k, n=k+1 and how n=k proves n=k+1. The problem I am having is with the algebra.

[tex]4+16+64+...+4^{n}=\frac{4}{3}(4^{n}-1)[/tex]

2. Homework Equations and Attempts

For n=1

[tex]4=4[/tex] That's OK

For n=k

[tex]4+16+64+...+4^{k}=\frac{4}{3}(4^{k}-1)[/tex]

For n=k+1 by Substitution

[tex]4+16+64+...+4^{(k+1)}=\frac{4}{3}(4^{(k+1)})[/tex]

To Prove by Adding [tex]K+1[/tex] to [tex]S_{k}[/tex]

[tex]4+16+64+...+4^{k}+4^{(k+1)}=\frac{4}{3}(4^{k}-1)+4^{(k+1)}[/tex]

It took me a minute to figure out how [tex]\frac{4}{3}(4^{k}-1)[/tex] became [tex]\frac{4^{(k+1)}}{3}[/tex], but I got that part.

[tex]= \frac{4^{(k+1)}}{3}+4^{(k+1)}-\frac{4}{3}[/tex]

This is where I am stuck. I gather that I am supposed to multiply [tex]4^{(k+1)}[/tex] by [tex]\frac{3}{3}[/tex], and then combine like terms. I am confused about this because I don't know how to multiply the term by 3 (I probably learned it, I'm just stumped).

Please help me understand what to do next. As long as I can understand how to manipulate the exponential terms with the fractions, I can complete this. Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
DDNow said:
For n=k+1 by Substitution

[tex]4+16+64+...+4^{(k+1)}=\frac{4}{3}(4^{(k+1)})[/tex]

Check this expression.
Once you have the correct target expression, the next part should work out.

ummm...when you multiply [tex]4^{k+1}[/tex] by [tex]\frac{3}{3}[/tex] you just get [tex]\frac{3(4^{k+1})}{3}[/tex]...and since you now have two terms with the same denominator, you can add the numerators to get: [tex]\frac{4^{(k+1)}+3(4^{(k+1)})}{3}-\frac{4}{3}[/tex]

what do you get when you add one of 'something' to 3 of 'something'?

shramana said:
Check this expression.
Once you have the correct target expression, the next part should work out.

I'm not sure how that is incorrect.

gabbagabbahey said:
ummm...when you multiply [tex]4^{k+1}[/tex] by [tex]\frac{3}{3}[/tex] you just get [tex]\frac{3(4^{k+1})}{3}[/tex]...and since you now have two terms with the same denominator, you can add the numerators to get: [tex]\frac{4^{(k+1)}+3(4^{(k+1)})}{3}-\frac{4}{3}[/tex]

what do you get when you add one of 'something' to 3 of 'something'?

I get it now. When I look at it like 1[4^(K+1)]+3[4^(K+1)], it makes sense. I was trying to multiply, which was wrong, and didn't let me pull out 4/3.

Thanks, everyone.

When you substitute n=k+1,
right hand side of the expression should be [tex]4/3[/tex]([tex]4^{k+1}[/tex] -1)

1. What is basic mathematical induction with n in the exponent?

Basic mathematical induction is a method used to prove statements or theorems that involve natural numbers. When the exponent, n, is present in the statement, it means that the statement is true for all natural numbers starting from a base case. This method involves three steps: the base case, the induction hypothesis, and the inductive step.

2. What is the base case in basic mathematical induction?

The base case is the first natural number for which the statement is true. It serves as the "base" for the induction proof, as it is the starting point for the inductive step.

3. What is the induction hypothesis in basic mathematical induction?

The induction hypothesis is the assumption that the statement is true for a specific natural number, k. It is used to prove that the statement is also true for the next natural number, k+1, in the inductive step.

4. How is the inductive step used in basic mathematical induction?

The inductive step is used to prove that the statement is true for the next natural number, k+1, assuming that it is true for the previous natural number, k. This is done by plugging in k+1 for n in the original statement and using the induction hypothesis to show that the statement holds true for k+1.

5. What is the difference between strong and weak induction with n in the exponent?

In weak induction, the induction hypothesis only assumes that the statement is true for a specific natural number, k. In strong induction, the induction hypothesis assumes that the statement is true for all natural numbers up to and including k. This allows for a stronger inductive step, as it can use multiple previous cases to prove the statement for the next natural number.