1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Mathematical Induction w/ n In the Exponent

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

All I am trying to do is the basic mathematical induction routine: n=1, n=k, n=k+1 and how n=k proves n=k+1. The problem I am having is with the algebra.

2. Relevant equations and Attempts

For n=1

[tex]4=4[/tex] That's OK

For n=k

For n=k+1 by Substitution

To Prove by Adding [tex]K+1[/tex] to [tex]S_{k}[/tex]

It took me a minute to figure out how [tex]\frac{4}{3}(4^{k}-1)[/tex] became [tex]\frac{4^{(k+1)}}{3}[/tex], but I got that part.

[tex]= \frac{4^{(k+1)}}{3}+4^{(k+1)}-\frac{4}{3}[/tex]

This is where I am stuck. I gather that I am supposed to multiply [tex]4^{(k+1)}[/tex] by [tex]\frac{3}{3}[/tex], and then combine like terms. I am confused about this because I don't know how to multiply the term by 3 (I probably learned it, I'm just stumped).

Please help me understand what to do next. As long as I can understand how to manipulate the exponential terms with the fractions, I can complete this. Thanks for your time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2008 #2
    Check this expression.
    Once you have the correct target expression, the next part should work out.
  4. Dec 9, 2008 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

ummm....when you multiply [tex]4^{k+1}[/tex] by [tex]\frac{3}{3}[/tex] you just get [tex]\frac{3(4^{k+1})}{3}[/tex]....and since you now have two terms with the same denominator, you can add the numerators to get: [tex]\frac{4^{(k+1)}+3(4^{(k+1)})}{3}-\frac{4}{3}[/tex]

what do you get when you add one of 'something' to 3 of 'something'?
  5. Dec 9, 2008 #4
    I'm not sure how that is incorrect.

I get it now. When I look at it like 1[4^(K+1)]+3[4^(K+1)], it makes sense. I was trying to multiply, which was wrong, and didn't let me pull out 4/3.

Thanks, everyone.
  6. Dec 9, 2008 #5
    When you substitute n=k+1,
    right hand side of the expression should be [tex]4/3[/tex]([tex]4^{k+1}[/tex] -1)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?