Basic Proof Writing Help continued.

In summary: The sum of the roots of: x2+5x+4=0 is not equal to...The Attempt at a SolutionIn summary, 3x2-5x-2=(3x+1)(x-2) can be proved to be true for all x by using the definition "?".
Keen94

Homework Statement

Given a series of mathematical statements, some of which are true and some of which are false.
Prove ∀x: 3x2-5x-2=(3x+1)(x-2)

Homework Equations

x(px→qx)

The Attempt at a Solution

Statement: ∀x: 3x2-5x-2=(3x+1)(x-2)
x{x∈ℝ I 3x2-5x-2=(3x+1)(x-2)}
(1) Assume 3x2-5x-2 is true [Hypothesis]
(2)
3x2-5x-2 has two real roots. [Some Definition "?"]
(3)
(3x+1)(x-2) =3x2-5x-2
=(3x+1)(x-2)
Therefore 3x2-5x-2=(3x+1)(x-2) for all x by definition "?".

What definition would I be using? Is this the right way to go about this proof? Should I be cataloging definitions and previously proved theorems?

Physics news on Phys.org
Keen94 said:

Homework Statement

Given a series of mathematical statements, some of which are true and some of which are false.
Prove ∀x: 3x2-5x-2=(3x+1)(x-2)

Homework Equations

x(px→qx)

The Attempt at a Solution

Statement: ∀x: 3x2-5x-2=(3x+1)(x-2)
x{x∈ℝ I 3x2-5x-2=(3x+1)(x-2)}
(1) Assume 3x2-5x-2 is true [Hypothesis]
No. 3x2 - 5x - 2 is an expression, not a statement. Expressions have values, but "true" and "false" are not possible values. A statement, such as an equation or inequality or a sentence such as "I have three cats." can be true or false.

The hypothesis here is "x is a real number."
The conclusion is ##3x^2 - 5x - 2 = (3x + 1)(x - 2)##.
The = symbol here is really ##\equiv##, since you are showing that the statement is identically true (for all real x), not just true for a small handful of value of x.
Keen94 said:
(2) 3x2-5x-2 has two real roots. [Some Definition "?"]
Technically, no. The equation ##3x^2 - 5x - 2 = 0## has two real roots, but I think you're heading down the wrong track here.
It seems to me that one could prove this by expanding (i.e., multiplying out) the right side.
Keen94 said:
(3) (3x+1)(x-2) =3x2-5x-2
=(3x+1)(x-2)
The above looks to me like you are proving that (3x + 1)(x - 2) is equal to itself, which is certainly true, but a trivial result.
Keen94 said:
Therefore 3x2-5x-2=(3x+1)(x-2) for all x by definition "?".

What definition would I be using? Is this the right way to go about this proof? Should I be cataloging definitions and previously proved theorems?

Mark44 said:
No. 3x2 - 5x - 2 is an expression, not a statement. Expressions have values, but "true" and "false" are not possible values. A statement, such as an equation or inequality or a sentence such as "I have three cats." can be true or false.

The hypothesis here is "x is a real number."
The conclusion is ##3x^2 - 5x - 2 = (3x + 1)(x - 2)##.
The = symbol here is really ##\equiv##, since you are showing that the statement is identically true (for all real x), not just true for a small handful of value of x.
Technically, no. The equation ##3x^2 - 5x - 2 = 0## has two real roots, but I think you're heading down the wrong track here.
It seems to me that one could prove this by expanding (i.e., multiplying out) the right side.The above looks to me like you are proving that (3x + 1)(x - 2) is equal to itself, which is certainly true, but a trivial result.
Hmmm... I can see this is a tautology involving two expressions. Does this really boil down to showing the LHS is equal to the RHS as you mentioned? Because I don't see any other way to do this since it is an equivalence between two expressions.

***update***
x: 3x2-5x-2=(3x+1)(x-2)

If x is a real number, then for all x, 3x2-5x-2=(3x+1)(x-2)
(1) Assume U=ℝ
(2) Let x∈ℝ
(3) 3x2-5x-2=(3x+1)(x-2)
=3x2-6x+x-2
=3x2-5x-2
Therefore 3x2-5x-2=(3x+1)(x-2) for all x, where x∈ℝ.

In contrast to the following.
The sum of the roots of: x2+5x+4=0 is equal to 5.
(1) Let U=ℝ and x∈ℝ. Assume ∃x{x I x2+5x+4=0}
(2) x2+5x+4=0 has real roots, a and b, for which a+b=5.
(3) 0=x2+5x+4
0=(a+4)(b+1)
0=a+4 or 0=b+1
a=-4 or b=-1
a+b=5
(-4)+(-1)=5
-5≠5
Therefore it is false that the sum of the roots of x2+5x+4=0 is 5.

I would think that the simplest proof that [itex]x^2+ 5x+ 4= (x- 4)(x- 1)[/itex] would be to
start from [itex](x- 4)(x- 1) [/itex] and show that it results in [itex]x^2+ 5x+ 4[/itex].
Start with [itex](x- 4)(x- 1)= x(x- 1)- 4(x- 1)[/itex] (distributive law)
and continue from there.

Keen94 said:
In contrast to the following.
The sum of the roots of: x2+5x+4=0 is equal to 5.
(1) Let U=ℝ and x∈ℝ. Assume ∃x{x I x2+5x+4=0}
(2) x2+5x+4=0 has real roots, a and b, for which a+b=5.
(3) 0=x2+5x+4
0=(a+4)(b+1)
No, the variable is x.
Keen94 said:
0=a+4 or 0=b+1
a=-4 or b=-1
a+b=5
(-4)+(-1)=5
-5≠5
Therefore it is false that the sum of the roots of x2+5x+4=0 is 5.
Your conclusion is correct, but you are trying to make the work you show fit into a "one size fits all" pattern.

The statement here is that the roots of the given quadratic equation add up to 5. All you need to do is to find the two roots, using factorization (which you did, sort of) or the quadratic formula. Unless your teacher is unusually pedantic, all of this "Let U=ℝ and x∈ℝ. Assume ∃x{x I x2+5x+4=0}" is completely unnecessary.

Statement: The sum of the roots of: x2+5x+4=0 is equal to 5.

Find roots:
##x^2 + 5x + 4 = 0##
##\Leftrightarrow (x + 4)(x + 1) = 0##
##\Leftrightarrow x = -4 \text{ or } x = -1##
The two roots of the equation add to -5, so we conclude that the statement is false.

wow, so much simpler. Thanks again for the help guys.

1. What is the purpose of basic proof writing?

The purpose of basic proof writing is to provide a logical and systematic approach to proving mathematical statements or theorems. It is a fundamental skill in mathematics that helps to build a strong foundation for more advanced topics.

2. What are the key elements of a basic proof?

The key elements of a basic proof include a statement of the theorem to be proved, a list of given information or assumptions, a series of logical steps to reach a conclusion, and a concluding statement or proof summary.

3. What are some common proof techniques used in basic proof writing?

Some common proof techniques used in basic proof writing include direct proof, proof by contradiction, proof by contrapositive, and proof by induction. These techniques involve using logical reasoning, definitions, and known facts to establish the truth of a statement.

4. How can I improve my skills in basic proof writing?

To improve your skills in basic proof writing, practice regularly by attempting various proofs and seeking feedback from others. It is also helpful to understand and memorize basic definitions, theorems, and logical principles, as well as familiarizing yourself with different proof techniques.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid in basic proof writing?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid in basic proof writing include making unsupported assumptions, using incorrect logic or reasoning, and not clearly stating each step in the proof. It is important to carefully check each step and ensure that they are logically connected to each other to avoid errors.