Basic question on spivak's calculus

• Thread starter chemistry1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of factorization and how it relates to the use of P9 in expanding a given expression. The participants question whether Spivak considers factorization as the development of factors and also discuss the use of P9 in expanding the expression (x-1)(x-2). Ultimately, they come to the understanding that P9 is used to verify the factorization of the expression x2-3x+2.
chemistry1
http://postimg.org/image/lh7ga876t/

Hi, I have a basic question concerning definition of the word 'factorization'. Does Spivak consider factorization as development of factors ? He goes from saying the "factorization" x2−3x+2=(x−1)(x−2) is really a triple use of P9 and goes on showing development.

P9 says : If a,b, and c are any numbers, then : a⋅(b+c)=a⋅b+a⋅c
Also, when Spivak does the following : (x−1)(x−2)=x(x−2)+(−1)(x−2) does he use any property or just assumes it as like this ? I know what's happening, just curious if there's any justification to it.

Thank you !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
chemistry1 said:
http://postimg.org/image/lh7ga876t/

Hi, I have a basic question concerning definition of the word 'factorization'. Does Spivak consider factorization as development of factors ? He goes from saying the "factorization" x2−3x+2=(x−1)(x−2) is really a triple use of P9 and goes on showing development.

P9 says : If a,b, and c are any numbers, then : a⋅(b+c)=a⋅b+a⋅c
Also, when Spivak does the following : (x−1)(x−2)=x(x−2)+(−1)(x−2) does he use any property or just assumes it as like this ? I know what's happening, just curious if there's any justification to it.

Thank you !
Note: Use the X2 icon for exponents (superscripts).

Here's the image you posted:
attachment.php?attachmentid=65052&stc=1&d=1387849695.jpg

I suppose Spivak does assume that x-1 is the same as x + (-1) .

Then of course, ##\displaystyle\ (x-1)(a)\ ## is equivalent to ##\displaystyle\ x(a)+(-1)(a)\ ## . Correct? (Assuming we can distribute from the left as well as from the right.)

Then just let ##\displaystyle\ a = (x-2) \ ## .

Attachments

• proof.jpg
    proof.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 515
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that I understood. The other thing which I don't understand is why does he talk about using P9 to factorize if he's showing the development of factors. How does it make any sense ?thank you!

It looks like he's using P9 to expand (multiply out) the factorized form, (x-1)(x-2), verifying that it is the correct factorization for x2 - 3x + 2 .

Yeah, I noticed that. I just was expecting the inverse, the factorization. Anyway, thank you for the help!

Question 1: What is Spivak's Calculus?

Spivak's Calculus is a textbook written by Michael Spivak, which serves as an introduction to the concepts and techniques of calculus. It covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.

Question 2: Is Spivak's Calculus suitable for beginners?

Yes, Spivak's Calculus is suitable for beginners who have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. It provides a rigorous and thorough introduction to calculus, making it a popular choice for students preparing for advanced mathematics courses.

Question 3: What sets Spivak's Calculus apart from other textbooks?

Spivak's Calculus is known for its clear and concise explanations, challenging exercises, and emphasis on mathematical rigor. It also includes interesting historical notes and proof sketches, making it a favorite among mathematics enthusiasts.

Question 4: Can Spivak's Calculus be used as a standalone textbook?

Yes, Spivak's Calculus can be used as a standalone textbook for a comprehensive study of calculus. However, some students may benefit from using additional resources or seeking help from a tutor to supplement their learning.

Question 5: Is Spivak's Calculus relevant for real-world applications?

While Spivak's Calculus is primarily a theoretical textbook, the concepts and techniques learned can be applied to various real-world problems, such as optimization, physics, and economics. However, it is not specifically designed for practical applications.